The Student Room Group

Publishing my undergrad dissertation

I’ve just graduated my undergrad and my supervisor and course leader suggested publishing my final year dissertation in an academic journal. Although my degree is in nutrition, my dissertation is actually more neuroscience related (related to ketone bodies, autophagy and Alzheimer’s disease). May I ask if anyone else has done it in a similar field. I desperately want to get into research and this would be a great opportunity for me to be a published author, would love to hear your experiences. Did it increases your chances of getting into a phd program of your choice? How was the whole process for you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PinkieKiss
I’ve just graduated my human nutrition degree with 90% and my supervisor and course leader suggested publishing my final year dissertation in an academic journal. Although my degree is in nutrition, my dissertation is actually more neuroscience related (related to ketone bodies, autophagy and Alzheimer’s disease). May I ask if anyone else has done it in a similar field and if so, if they have any advice. I desperately want to get into research and this would be a great opportunity for me to be a published author, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

You need to go back and ask your Supervisor and course leader - they should take you through the process, identifying the right publication, helping you edit it to the publication's requirements etc.
I'm not in your field but I have published several undergraduate research projects. What I'm surprised about is that your supervisor hasn't given you any further guidance here, since that's basically their job? I'm assuming you'll be familiar with the structure of papers in your field but you should definitely discuss with them properly before you start writing a manuscript. They'll also be able to give you suggestions of which journal/s to aim for.
Congratulations. As others said speak to your supervisor to identify which publications are appropriate for you, and they may provide guidance for your manuscript content or proofread it. General advice is when submitting it, submission requirements can vary widely and be extremely detailed/specific. You should make sure you submit it exactly following the requirements such as cover page content, font size, formatting etc. Research the editors of the journal or other associated academics because if it's peer-reviewed you can sometimes specify some people you want to review it.
Reply 4
Original post by xxx0xxxo
Congratulations. As others said speak to your supervisor to identify which publications are appropriate for you, and they may provide guidance for your manuscript content or proofread it. General advice is when submitting it, submission requirements can vary widely and be extremely detailed/specific. You should make sure you submit it exactly following the requirements such as cover page content, font size, formatting etc. Research the editors of the journal or other associated academics because if it's peer-reviewed you can sometimes specify some people you want to review it.

Thank you 😊 apologies my post wasn’t very clear, I’ve edited it now.
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not in your field but I have published several undergraduate research projects. What I'm surprised about is that your supervisor hasn't given you any further guidance here, since that's basically their job? I'm assuming you'll be familiar with the structure of papers in your field but you should definitely discuss with them properly before you start writing a manuscript. They'll also be able to give you suggestions of which journal/s to aim for.

I wasn’t very clear (edited it now). I wanted to know how the process was you rather than what it was 😬
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
You need to go back and ask your Supervisor and course leader - they should take you through the process, identifying the right publication, helping you edit it to the publication's requirements etc.

Hey, sorry I wasn’t very clear at all (edited now). I meant to as how people found the whole process rather than how to submit 😅
I wasn’t very clear (edited it now). I wanted to know how the process was you rather than what it was 😬

The first paper I published was rather painful but it has got somewhat easier with time. If you can get a paper published though (in a reputable journal, ideally with you as the first author) then I would definitely recommend it. It's probably the single best thing you can do for your PhD application.
Reply 8
Original post by Plagioclase
The first paper I published was rather painful but it has got somewhat easier with time. If you can get a paper published though (in a reputable journal, ideally with you as the first author) then I would definitely recommend it. It's probably the single best thing you can do for your PhD

Painful? May I ask how? Was it much harder than doing your dissertation? And thanks, that’s really good to know 😊
Painful? May I ask how? Was it much harder than doing your dissertation? And thanks, that’s really good to know 😊

Painful because I was pretty sick of the project by the time it got to writing the paper. Getting reviews can also be a pretty uncomfortable experience at first and it's difficult not to take them personally. But yes, if you want to go into academia then you should definitely see if you can get it published.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending