English lit? English lit and creative writing? Or English lit and film?

Watch
sophdotorg
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! Year 12 here.

I know vaguely what I want to do after uni. I'm thinking of trying to get into publishing, secondary school teaching or being a film critic (which might be reaching). My really unrealistic aspirations include writing (i.e. becoming an author) and screenwriting, but I doubt I'd be able to achieve either of those careers, or if I had the opportunity I doubt I'd be very good, not to sound like I'm down on myself.

I'm not sure if I should just do English lit at uni, or if I should combine English lit with creative writing or film, since I really enjoy writing and I'm interested in film. I don't want to regret choosing to do a joint degree, nor do I want to regret doing one either. Also, most of the top unis don't have the option of combining English and creative writing and/or film, so I don't want to not choose a good uni so I can do English and whatever and end up regretting it.

We've been told to start thinking about the unis we're interested in. I got a 9 in English lit at GCSE, but idk how that will translate to A level.

Any thoughts?
michaelhw
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You can start writing tomorrow, and publish your stuff online. No need to wait. Don't expect to be praised, however. Very few are.

Publishing is more difficult. The jobs in the publishing houses are very sought after. A lot of people want to get into fiction, and that means more competition. If your grades are good, however, maybe you have a chance?

I have some courses in film history, and was a movie blogger for a while, until i got fed up. I needed a change. It was Ok. Screen writing, well then you must of course watch lectures by Robert McKee while he is still alive and read his book Story. That is required reading, if you want to be a hipster.
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sophdotorg)
Hi! Year 12 here.

I know vaguely what I want to do after uni. I'm thinking of trying to get into publishing, secondary school teaching or being a film critic (which might be reaching). My really unrealistic aspirations include writing (i.e. becoming an author) and screenwriting, but I doubt I'd be able to achieve either of those careers, or if I had the opportunity I doubt I'd be very good, not to sound like I'm down on myself.

I'm not sure if I should just do English lit at uni, or if I should combine English lit with creative writing or film, since I really enjoy writing and I'm interested in film. I don't want to regret choosing to do a joint degree, nor do I want to regret doing one either. Also, most of the top unis don't have the option of combining English and creative writing and/or film, so I don't want to not choose a good uni so I can do English and whatever and end up regretting it.

We've been told to start thinking about the unis we're interested in. I got a 9 in English lit at GCSE, but idk how that will translate to A level.

Any thoughts?
Hi there, sophdotorg, how are you?

My name is Konnie, and I’m a postgraduate Creative Writing student at De Montfort University, Leicester. 😊

Firstly, if you want to become an author, or get into publishing, go for it! Never put any limitations on yourself – you should always aspire to do what you know you are going to enjoy the most, and the same goes for your university course!

The best thing you can do as you start to think about university is have a look at a few courses of interest at some different universities and browse what sort of modules they offer. As you explore these modules, you’ll naturally find yourself leaning to a certain course. This will help you decide what exact course would be best suited to you.

For example, here at DMU we actually have a module called Professional Writing Skills on our Creative Writing course, which is a module dedicated to getting into publishing. This is my career goal, too, which is why I was drawn to this course. I’ll attach a link of our Creative Writing course details as an example for you to take a look at here.

Research is the best thing you can do at this point, to make sure that you are picking a course that you know you are going to get the most out of. My most crucial piece of advice is to always go for something that you know you are going to enjoy, over something that you think might be better for your career. If your heart isn’t 100% in the course, it will be a long three years!

Let me know if you have any questions at all, and best of luck!

Konnie 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads