McleodErin
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It’s officially been over a month and I still pretty much hate it here. I hate how lonely I feel. I hate the fact that I haven’t found people im comfortable going out with yet so I go out and I’m kinda uncomfy. All I want to do is go back to my home town and see all my friends and spend time chilling with my family. Because I miss them so much but I can’t do that because they’re all having the time of their lives at uni across the country. And if I left my family would be so disappointed in me. They keep telling me how there’s nothing for me at home. But I feel awful here.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McleodErin)
It’s officially been over a month and I still pretty much hate it here. I hate how lonely I feel. I hate the fact that I haven’t found people im comfortable going out with yet so I go out and I’m kinda uncomfy. All I want to do is go back to my home town and see all my friends and spend time chilling with my family. Because I miss them so much but I can’t do that because they’re all having the time of their lives at uni across the country. And if I left my family would be so disappointed in me. They keep telling me how there’s nothing for me at home. But I feel awful here.
I feel exactly the same. I've been at uni for almost a month and I've made no solid friendships, my flat mates are really nice just not the sort of people id be best friends with. I've gone out with them a couple of times but just feel like im 'third wheeling' the whole time. I'm pretty shy so find it hard to make friends but I've really tried. ill talk to people for a bit but then end up not seeing them again. I feel really lonely here and i don't know what to do now. i have amazing friends at home and i just want things to be like they were at home. i sorry this isn't very helpful to your situation but if it helps you're not the only one feeling this way. I know it feels **** but we just have to keep trying
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, your expectations are probably too high. The fact of the matter is that relationships can take a really damn long time. I know it probably seems like loads of other people are making friends and having genuine connections, but it’s actually pretty common for people to not have anyone they consider to be remotely close with. It took me until the last couple years of high school to find a group of people I was truly comfortable with, but I managed to. I’d say give it some time, you just need to keep trying. Don’t feel discouraged if you can’t find anyone for weeks or even months,, you’ll get there. Also, when you do find someone you like, stay in touch - it’s really easy for friendships to die out especially if you haven’t talked in a while.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
it will get better. it took me to January to find some decent friends. give it time.
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Have you joined societies? It is the best way to find like-minded people. On line lectures are not helping anyone to make connections so it is extra tough this year. The other posters are right, it might take a while to find your tribe, but they are there. Don't be afraid to get in touch with srudent support or chaplaincy, they might be able to point you in the right direction.
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McleodErin)
Hey!

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying university. Making friends can be really hard and daunting, I know when I was a student I preferred to focus on my studies rather than making friends. There's no right or wrong way to experience uni, it's different for everyone. You might just meet your lifelong friends later down the line, so I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself

Have you thought about joining any clubs or societies? I think it might help make conversation a little bit easier being around people with similar interests to you. You could also become a student ambassador, volunteer or find part-time work on campus - all opportunities to meet new people.

I wish you the very best of luck with your university journey!

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads