The Student Room Group

piano

how do you learn the piano quickly? I want to learn but I don't know where to start, or even what to use for help.
Original post by -novice-
how do you learn the piano quickly? I want to learn but I don't know where to start, or even what to use for help.

Instruments take a lot of time to play properly or well. There's nothing 'quick' about learning how to play the piano.

It's best to get a music tutor if you can, because you can only do so much via youtube videos or similar, and it's very easy to entrain some bad habits early on with the piano which become almost impossible to eliminate later.
You can't properly learn the piano quickly.
It took me 10 years of piano lessons to play grade 8 pieces.

Bear in mind you get rusty as hell if you stop playing too. I can only manage about Grade 5 pieces now.

Try the recorder instead.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
You can't properly learn the piano quickly.
It took me 10 years of piano lessons to play grade 8 pieces.

Bear in mind you get rusty as hell if you stop playing too. I can only manage about Grade 5 pieces now.

Try the recorder instead.

This. Even if the OP only wants to learn a few hard pieces they would still have to grasp the basics first. I've learnt the piano for 6 years up to grade 5 but haven't played the piano in 2 years so I don't know if I'll even be able to play anything if I happen to find a piano.
Original post by hungrysalamander
This. Even if the OP only wants to learn a few hard pieces they would still have to grasp the basics first. I've learnt the piano for 6 years up to grade 5 but haven't played the piano in 2 years so I don't know if I'll even be able to play anything if I happen to find a piano.

I stopped playing for a decade before going back to it, and finding I'd dropped about 3 grades.

Two years isn't too bad. You may not have forgotten too much.
Original post by -novice-

If you want to learn how to play a Piano go for it!
You'll need to take a few hours out per day to focus on Piano practice though and will have to be committed if you want to see the best results. I suggest hiring a Teacher that can guide you through it and help you improve as a whole. Although it would be ideal if you learn the basics via youtube for example so you don't have to pay too much for Piano lessons. Make sure you are certain you want to learn this certain instrument as it will take a long time but it is not impossible if someone else can do it so can you!
:shakehand:
GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply

Latest