I made a small typo in my Cambridge application? Will it affect my chances?

Watch
12345678abcdefgh
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey all,
I made a spelling mistake in my personal statement which I have now officially sent to Cambridge. Instead of saying "complemented," I wrote "complimented." it is the only spelling mistake in the essay. How will this affect my chances, if at all?
Here is the part of the sentence: "this chapter complimented my personal observations."
Thanks!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 12345678abcdefgh)
Hey all,
I made a spelling mistake in my personal statement which I have now officially sent to Cambridge. Instead of saying "complemented," I wrote "complimented." it is the only spelling mistake in the essay. How will this affect my chances, if at all?
Here is the part of the sentence: "this chapter complimented my personal observations."
Thanks!
It won't make any difference at all.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree, it’s not going to make any difference.
12345678abcdefgh
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
I agree, it’s not going to make any difference.
Thank you guys so much! Though, my nervousness begs the question: what makes you so sure? (sorry I am def. not questioning your credibility but just want to know lol)
Last edited by 12345678abcdefgh; 1 month ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you guys so much! Though, my nervousness begs the question: what makes you so sure? (sorry I am def. not questioning your credibility but just want to know lol)
I am an admissions coordinator at a UK uni. A big part of my job is to review personal statements.

Even if they have time to run every single PS through a spellcheck, the odds that they wouldn’t allow you a single inconsequential typo without docking you points is slim to none.
gemplzx
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey all,
Thanks!
I really really don't think it will make a difference! I made a similarly small typo in my undergrad PS and although I didn't apply to Cambs, I got all 5 offers inc. LSE and Durham with no issues good luck!
12345678abcdefgh
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
I am an admissions coordinator at a UK uni. A big part of my job is to review personal statements.

Even if they have time to run every single PS through a spellcheck, the odds that they wouldn’t allow you a single inconsequential typo without docking you points is slim to none.
Wow, thanks again! I hope for the best!
12345678abcdefgh
Rep:
(Original post by gemplzx)
I really really don't think it will make a difference! I made a similarly small typo in my undergrad PS and although I didn't apply to Cambs, I got all 5 offers inc. LSE and Durham with no issues good luck!
Thanks! And congrats on LSE/Durham! Those are on my list (I hope for the best!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads