Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have recently started my 2nd year at university and have no friends to hang out with. During the first year, I was unable to make friends due to all our sessions being online. This week was my first week at university, I mainly had lectures but also a workshops, many people seemed to have already made friends, and I tend to sit alone in both lectures and workshops, which is really demotivating. I also didn't have any friends at college since which I didn't like either. I believe I have social anxiety, but I'm not sure. I am also a commuting student which doesn't help. How can I make friends?
Athy_Obelia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't be worrying too much since it's only been a week since you've started. People move around and talk to different people around then, looking to get to know people and who they could get along with. Whoever you see sitting together in lectures around this time, are most likely people they just happened to sit with from previous workshops/lectures etc.

Although this depends on your comfort zone, if I were you, I would go and sit next to someone seems like my crowd and get to know them. If you try this a few times, you'll eventually find a person you get along really well with. You still have 3 years ahead of you, plenty of time!

Good Luck!!
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have recently started my 2nd year at university and have no friends to hang out with. During the first year, I was unable to make friends due to all our sessions being online. This week was my first week at university, I mainly had lectures but also a workshops, many people seemed to have already made friends, and I tend to sit alone in both lectures and workshops, which is really demotivating. I also didn't have any friends at college since which I didn't like either. I believe I have social anxiety, but I'm not sure. I am also a commuting student which doesn't help. How can I make friends?
Hey!

Just wanted to check in and see how you were doing?

Please don't put too much pressure on yourself to make friends, not everyone meets their lifelong friends at uni, it's different for everyone. I know when I was a student I preferred to focus on my studies.

Have you thought about joining any clubs or societies? There such a good way to meet new people, and because they'll share the same interest as you, it might help you feel more confident in making conversation with them. You could even become a student ambassador, volunteer or find part-time work on campus as a way to make friends.

In lectures and workshops, could you try starting the conversation with someone? You could ask them how they're finding the course, whether they're involved in any societies or ask them about a new TV show - small steps!

I wish you the very best of luck with your university journey

Becky
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Bradford)
Hey!

Just wanted to check in and see how you were doing?

Please don't put too much pressure on yourself to make friends, not everyone meets their lifelong friends at uni, it's different for everyone. I know when I was a student I preferred to focus on my studies.

Have you thought about joining any clubs or societies? There such a good way to meet new people, and because they'll share the same interest as you, it might help you feel more confident in making conversation with them. You could even become a student ambassador, volunteer or find part-time work on campus as a way to make friends.

In lectures and workshops, could you try starting the conversation with someone? You could ask them how they're finding the course, whether they're involved in any societies or ask them about a new TV show - small steps!

I wish you the very best of luck with your university journey

Becky
Hi,

I became treasurer for a society but there isn't much to do and everyone seems to have joined the executive team just to boost their CV. I also became Ambassador for an organisation but that doesn't involve much interaction with individuals. I recently became Student Representative, hopefully that will be better than the other activities.

As for starting conversations, I am very shy and tend to avoid attention where possible, I also get very anxious when speaking to someone new.
Athy_Obelia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's completely normal to feel anxious when starting conversations. That's probably why you don't see as many people taking the first step to starting a conversation, in comparison to talking to someone they've already spoken to. But maybe do keep in mind that some people - just like you - want to be spoken to. I'm sure there are others in your course who haven't found their 'crowd' yet, and are surfing around to see what kind of people there are.

I often used to feel nervous starting conversations. It's gotten better ever since I started telling myself that, even if I mess up, they most likely won't remember if you don't build the 'relationship' after that. Even if you do decide to progess with that person, what are the odd of them remembering? There are several people in my life where I don't remember the first meeting - no offence to those people, I just have bad memories haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (13)
10.48%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (2)
1.61%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.45%
Finding the motivation (34)
27.42%
Getting distracted (16)
12.9%
Procrastination (50)
40.32%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.81%

Watched Threads