Struggling with food at uni

Watch
Lucy.rook49
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I’m struggling with managing food at uni. I have always been very health conscious and I love to run. Last summer I was the most fit and athletic I’d ever been post lockdown- since I spent a large portion of lockdown working out. However I recently gained about half a stone due to doing a shift work job over summer. I’m now at uni I really enjoy cooking and eat VERY healthily. (Loads of homemade veggi filled meals.) I only drink once a week and run a lot. My sleep is good. I really want to loose the 7lbs I gained over summer. But I don’t know how. (I am currently a healthy weight I just feel better and run better slightly leaner.) I have tried counting calories have found I can stick to it during the day but I just end up binging on food at night time. I’m also really weary of calorie tracking and I know it’s dangerous territory at uni. I have tried ‘eating less’ but can’t seem to shift it. What else could I do- I’m really conscious I don’t want to be obsessed with food but would like to lose the weight I gained as it effects my confidence.
Morganxe
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hey! If you’re binging at night then you might be restricting yourself too much during the day, so maybe try increasing your daily calorie intake and see if that helps you. Also try to incorporate foods that you like because eating fully “healthy” and not letting yourself eat things like chocolate for example because it’s “bad” (it’s not) will make you want it even more.
Hope this helps, and maybe reach out to someone if you find yourself struggling.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are you catered or self-catering?
Lucy.rook49
Rep:
(Original post by Surnia)
Are you catered or self-catering?
I am self catered
Lucy.rook49
Rep:
(Original post by Morganxe)
Hey! If you’re binging at night then you might be restricting yourself too much during the day, so maybe try increasing your daily calorie intake and see if that helps you. Also try to incorporate foods that you like because eating fully “healthy” and not letting yourself eat things like chocolate for example because it’s “bad” (it’s not) will make you want it even more.
Hope this helps, and maybe reach out to someone if you find yourself struggling.
Hi yes I have a feeling that is part of the issue what caloric intake should I aim for?
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Eating at night is the worst. It sits on you while you sleep and its not being burned off. Try to not have anything to eat 4 hours before bedtime, and if you are going to treat yourself, make it once a week.
Leah_Talbot96
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Try exercising more. Also find s hobby.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂)
Eating at night is the worst. It sits on you while you sleep and its not being burned off. Try to not have anything to eat 4 hours before bedtime, and if you are going to treat yourself, make it once a week.
Doesn't mean it won't be burnt off later. Energy balance determines net weight loss not when you eat.
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
Doesn't mean it won't be burnt off later. Energy balance determines net weight loss not when you eat.
This is absolutely correct. People need to worry more about what they eat and how much they eat rather than when. Anyone saying when you eat matters is spreading myths.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I tend to disagree with that, just because my friends and including myself have ate late at night for a consitant period of time and slept on it, turning to fat (not all at the same time obviosly). We had to change our eating habits (and eat healthy too) and then it started to come off.
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂)
I tend to disagree with that, just because my friends and including myself have ate late at night for a consitant period of time and slept on it, turning to fat (not all at the same time obviosly). We had to change our eating habits (and eat healthy too) and then it started to come off.
I'm sure changing your eating habit did have an effect, but not for the reason you think it was. By eating earlier, you must have reduced your calorie intake as a side effect. Much like when people use intermittent fasting to eat during a smaller time frame and eat less calories. Especially as you mentioned you ate healthy too, you probably also substituted some of what you ate before for low calorie dense foods.
super_hannah
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lucy.rook49)
Hi,
I’m struggling with managing food at uni. I have always been very health conscious and I love to run. Last summer I was the most fit and athletic I’d ever been post lockdown- since I spent a large portion of lockdown working out. However I recently gained about half a stone due to doing a shift work job over summer. I’m now at uni I really enjoy cooking and eat VERY healthily. (Loads of homemade veggi filled meals.) I only drink once a week and run a lot. My sleep is good. I really want to loose the 7lbs I gained over summer. But I don’t know how. (I am currently a healthy weight I just feel better and run better slightly leaner.) I have tried counting calories have found I can stick to it during the day but I just end up binging on food at night time. I’m also really weary of calorie tracking and I know it’s dangerous territory at uni. I have tried ‘eating less’ but can’t seem to shift it. What else could I do- I’m really conscious I don’t want to be obsessed with food but would like to lose the weight I gained as it effects my confidence.
Hey! I had the exact same problem as you when I was at uni really. I was very much a binge eater at night and I am very much a person with a sweet tooth!! What you need to make sure first is that you eat in a calorie deficit and use MyFitnessPal to track calories. To stop yourself binging at night, I have found eating little and often helps! Also, eat lots of protein!! Aim for 1.5-2x per kg of bodyweight in protein. This will keep you fuller for longer. Like you I am very much a midnight snacker but try and change the more high calorie snacks for the low calorie ones. Just to give you some ideas of some snacks I typically eat in the evening here is a list (obviously I don't eat all every night!!) Apple and peanut butter, other fruit, protein yoghurt, protein shake, Fibre One choc brownie bar, protein bar, Dark Chocolate 70% bar, Hartley's reduced sugar jelly. Always weigh your food out as well as this really helps to keep control of portion sizes. To make things easier at uni as well, if you have the funds, you could invest in a slow cooker as this is such a convenient way of cooking meals. Hope this helps
tinyperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Eat breakfast but skip lunch and have a hearty early dinner at half past four. This is what I do and it means I do not snack in between.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.35%
Okay (40)
28.78%
A bit lacking (49)
35.25%
Not good at all (37)
26.62%

Watched Threads