Do students get income-taxed in the same way as non-students?

Watch
issawrap
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you're getting a student loan
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by issawrap)
If you're getting a student loan
The student loan doesn't count as taxable income. Otherwise, yes, students are taxed in the same way as anyone else.

(btw, that took 10 seconds to google)
Last edited by threeportdrift; 1 month ago
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Student loans arent taxed no but if a student has a job where they earn enough to pay tax, then yes they pay the same as if they werent a student
Reue
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Absolutely everyone is taxed in the same way for income tax purposes. Doesn't matter if you're 3 or 103, a student or full-time employee.
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you earn under the 'personal allowance' durung the tax-year, then like anyone else in that position, you will pay NI but not tax.
This is why there is a bot of a myth about 'students nort being taxed' - only because they dont usually earn enough.
The current Personal Allowance is £12,570, which is the amount of income you do not have to pay tax on.
issawrap
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
If you earn under the 'personal allowance' durung the tax-year, then like anyone else in that position, you will pay NI but not tax.
This is why there is a bot of a myth about 'students nort being taxed' - only because they dont usually earn enough.
The current Personal Allowance is £12,570, which is the amount of income you do not have to pay tax on.
This is the answer I was after, thank you

So if I earn less than £12,570 a year, I won't be taxed?
issawrap
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Also what's the minimum income for one to have to pay NI?

Think I read that it's around 9k a year. If I earn less than this in a year, does this mean I won't pay NI nor income tax?

Thanks
martin7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Also what's the minimum income for one to have to pay NI?

Think I read that it's around 9k a year. If I earn less than this in a year, does this mean I won't pay NI nor income tax?
You need to earn over £184 per week to pay National Insurance.

The key thing about National Insurance, though, is that it's calculated separately for each pay period. It's not like Income Tax, which is calculated across the whole of the tax year.

So, in theory, you could earn as little as £185 in a tax year and still have paid National Insurance
issawrap
Rep:
Alright thanks

And how is the amount of NI you pay calculated? Would this also be the same for students/non-students?

If I earned for example £500 a week, how would I know what the NI amount would be?

martin7
Last edited by issawrap; 1 month ago
martin7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
And how is the amount of NI you pay calculated? Would this also be the same for students/non-students?
You pay 12% of your earnings between £184.01 and £967 per week. Students and non-students pay the same.

If I earned for example £500 a week, how would I know what the NI amount would be?
It would be (500-184)*0.12 = £37.92.

Start here: https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance for more information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads