hpxna
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am almost 100% set on doing Biology, Chemistry, and Maths for A Level but don't know what 4th subject: my parents recommend Psychology for an easy extra subject, or Physics since it's a subject I excel at.

However, I thoroughly enjoy Eng Lit at GCSE and am getting 8s, however, everyone's telling me it will be too much to do it at A Level as well as Bio Chem and Maths.

Is Eng Lit as a fourth subject going to be manageable?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hpxna)
I am almost 100% set on doing Biology, Chemistry, and Maths for A Level but don't know what 4th subject: my parents recommend Psychology for an easy extra subject, or Physics since it's a subject I excel at.

However, I thoroughly enjoy Eng Lit at GCSE and am getting 8s, however, everyone's telling me it will be too much to do it at A Level as well as Bio Chem and Maths.

Is Eng Lit as a fourth subject going to be manageable?
All universities make offers based on 3 A levels and you dont need a 4th. Taking 4 A levels is extra work and could lead to your grades ending up lower. Universities prefer AAA to AABB. They prefer quality to quantity.

As for which subject you take all will be a lot of work. Students who take Psychology find it a lot of work so dont take it as a so called easy subject. If you are taking a 4th subject take the one you enjoy most and will do well in. Having said that taking 4 is unnecessarily risky although it can sometimes be useful taking 4 initially then dropping the 1 you least like or do less well in. If you intend taking an engineering degree some universities require Physics.
enmc
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hi,

so basically i wouldn’t recommended taking 4 a levels unless you really really want to/ have to and love all of those subjects because it will be a lot of work! and unis don’t need you to take 4 anyways.

that being said, it’s all up to you in terms of taking a 4th, pick something that you love doing, otherwise it’ll be painful trying to get through the work. while i didn’t take english lit, i do know from my friends that it’s a lot of essay writing and it is quite a challenging subject. it’s also way different to gcse, there’s a lot more reading, deeper analysis and trickier interpretations. it’s quite content heavy. i’ve heard psychology is a bit easier to grasp and quite interesting, so may be a better option as a 4th. if your school is doing a psychology taster at any point i’d recommend going to see if it’s something you might enjoy.

the main point is, pick what you like doing and what you’re good at. don’t let people around you decide for you, because only you know what you enjoy doing best. out of psych, english lit and physics, pick what you think you would love doing the most. they’re all equally good choices ! anything can be manageable if you put the work into it

when do you have to decide by?
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Only do 4 if the fourth subject is further maths. I'm in year 13 and I regret doing for even though one of my subject is further math, the workload is far too much and looking at it makes me physically sick and I feel so drained, burned out and demotivated at this point.

I excelled at physics at GCSE too lol now I loath that subject, don't take it if you don't have much interest or even if you are interested but not that sure like you're doing two other sciences.

I heard the work load for eng lit is high as well, so that along with chem, bio and maths are going to be really hard to manage unless you are willing to be a study machine.

Well, if physics is a requirement for what you want to do at uni drop bio/chem and take physics.
Last edited by summerbirdreads; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads