Tsrnicolec
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've recently applied to Oxford University to study Biochemistry. Do you guys have any advice for me in order to prepare for a potential interview? Interviews are what worries me the most as there is no admissions test for Biochemistry at Oxford... Do the questions tend to be related to the topic mentioned in our personal statement?
Last edited by Tsrnicolec; 1 month ago
oliviatan
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
what college did you apply to
Tsrnicolec
Rep:
(Original post by oliviatan)
what college did you apply to
S Have you applied to Biochemistry too?
Last edited by Tsrnicolec; 1 month ago
oliviatan
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tsrnicolec)
Somerville Have you applied to Biochemistry too?
yupp! to lincoln college theres no 2022 biochemistry thread thoughh i was hoping someone would start one officially haha
Tsrnicolec
Rep:
(Original post by oliviatan)
yupp! to lincoln college theres no 2022 biochemistry thread thoughh i was hoping someone would start one officially haha
Which qualifications are you studying? (+ if you don't mind me askinggg!)
oliviatan
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Which qualifications are you studying? (+ if you don't mind me askinggg!)
I am doing a levels but uhh i dont really wanna share my grades if thats okay.. 😅
PeteM01
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nice A levels OP, very likely to get you an interview. You may get asked an ice-breaker question from your PS but the rest is probably going to be problem solving. Think Chemistry Olympiad style, but out loud! Practice talking through quantitative problems (amino acid titrations for e.g.) and describing molecules.
welphelp
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
lol just found this thread. i too have applied to biochem at oxford, specifically worcester.
welphelp
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I've recently applied to Oxford University to study Biochemistry. Do you guys have any advice for me in order to prepare for a potential interview? Interviews are what worries me the most as there is no admissions test for Biochemistry at Oxford... Do the questions tend to be related to the topic mentioned in our personal statement?

(in case you haven't already read my previous comment: i am a fellow biochem applicant)
i've done some research on the interview here and there, including on oxford's webpage dedicated section on interviews. they might ask you an 'ice-breaker' question related to your personal statement, just like PeteM01 mentioned, but after that, i believe questions tend to be very chemistry focused, since they can't specifically question you on enzymology, structural biology, or anything overtly biochemical. they understand you haven't taken biochemistry as a subject ever in your life, and that most of your biochemical understanding derives from unstructured learning from books or news articles.
foxtm
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by welphelp)
(in case you haven't already read my previous comment: i am a fellow biochem applicant)
i've done some research on the interview here and there, including on oxford's webpage dedicated section on interviews. they might ask you an 'ice-breaker' question related to your personal statement, just like PeteM01 mentioned, but after that, i believe questions tend to be very chemistry focused, since they can't specifically question you on enzymology, structural biology, or anything overtly biochemical. they understand you haven't taken biochemistry as a subject ever in your life, and that most of your biochemical understanding derives from unstructured learning from books or news articles.
Thank you so much! I didn't realise that any sample questions existed; it's relieving to see some. I really had no idea about the interview structure for biochem!
welphelp
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by foxtm)
Thank you so much! I didn't realise that any sample questions existed; it's relieving to see some. I really had no idea about the interview structure for biochem!
glad i could help!
amziella
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by welphelp)
lol just found this thread. i too have applied to biochem at oxford, specifically worcester.
ayy same
tash sofa
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Isn't it mostly problem solving and applied knowledge? You most probably are going to be shown a graph or gel electrophoresis results and then you need to infer from the evidence they show you the answer to their question. I think the set up is often like this.
Bebsedebbe
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
hey guys I am currently on a gap year and I applied for biochem I got A*AA in Maths Biology and chemistry respectively and this year I am doing further maths and physics but I have no predicted grade for them. I really didn't do well in my IGCSEs I got no A*s but that's due to extenuating circumstances, do you guys think I have a chance of getting offer or even an interview, I am an international student and I heard they are more rough on international students, and also I applied to Christ Church and everyone told me not to because its way to competitive is this true? I do think I have a really good personal statement however my teachers have no faith in me and they literally wrote my teacher reference the day before. I am actually quite sad that I we don't have an admissions test that was the only way I could prove the admissions office I am not actually stupid.
Abreekk
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Heyoooo - I got an interview for biochem from LMH, did anyone else get an interview??
Abreekk
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bebsedebbe)
hey guys I am currently on a gap year and I applied for biochem I got A*AA in Maths Biology and chemistry respectively and this year I am doing further maths and physics but I have no predicted grade for them. I really didn't do well in my IGCSEs I got no A*s but that's due to extenuating circumstances, do you guys think I have a chance of getting offer or even an interview, I am an international student and I heard they are more rough on international students, and also I applied to Christ Church and everyone told me not to because its way to competitive is this true? I do think I have a really good personal statement however my teachers have no faith in me and they literally wrote my teacher reference the day before. I am actually quite sad that I we don't have an admissions test that was the only way I could prove the admissions office I am not actually stupid.
Each application is considered in a case by case basis so of course, extenuating circumstances would be considered depending on how serious it is. GCSEs do matter for Oxford but since u have an extenuating circumstance the tutor will make up a decision based on that. But if you don't apply you would never know!
Last edited by Abreekk; 2 weeks ago
Bebsedebbe
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Abreekk)
Each application is considered in a case by case basis so of course, extenuating circumstances would be considered depending on how serious it is. GCSEs do matter for Oxford but since u have an extenuating circumstance the tutor will make up a decision based on that. But if you don't apply you would never know!
i am an international students and i can’t find anything about them contexualising gcse’s for international students
Bebsedebbe
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Heyoooo - I got an interview for biochem from LMH, did anyone else get an interview??
lucky i heard lmh are quite quick to responding
fersjsjk776
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
i got one from LMH yesterday for biochem too! I did not expect them to respond so quick
Bebsedebbe
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fersjsjk776)
i got one from LMH yesterday for biochem too! I did not expect them to respond so quick
that’s so good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
9.94%
Okay (101)
29.53%
A bit lacking (123)
35.96%
Not good at all (84)
24.56%

Watched Threads