Mom and I had a huge fight and I don't know what to make of it

Watch
catchrylie
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My mom and I had a huge fight last night and I don't know what to make of it or what to say to her. Here's the story.

My soon-to-be fifteen-year-old brother plays American high school football and he's actually a decent player. Well, Friday of last week, he decided to be a jerk. He mouthed off to his Spanish teacher and was told to go to the principal's office (I don't know what this is considered in UK schools. I'm guessing headmaster. Please correct me if I'm wrong). While he was walking out of the classroom, one of the students in his class said something derogatory towards him, and he went off and started a fight with the kid requiring a couple of teachers to get them separated. The kid that said the derogatory term got suspended for three days while my brother got fourteen days (could have just served two days of detention for mouthing off to the teacher instead of having to serve three days and then another eleven for starting the fight with the kid). I heard all this from a girl I know from school that sits in the office and runs stuff from the office to go to teachers or to get students to come to the office to be picked up by their parents or whatnot. My brother was placed on restriction at home until the beginning of December. Meaning he couldn't come along with my dad and I to see Texas A&M defeat Number one ranked Alabama at Kyle Field last Saturday.

My brother Zoom called me on his school computer since all of his other electronics were taken from him with the exception of that laptop since he does his schoolwork on it. He calls me up while I'm in the middle of doing homework asking me about coming over to see my apartment sometime and visiting me since we don't see each other as much as we used to. Plus, he wanted to watch the SEC championship game at my place since I bought a big-screen television off of Craigslist for cheap. I said I needed to talk to my other roommates to see what we can work out. He said okay. My mom calls me on Zoom furious with me about what my brother said I had told him when he Zoomed me. My mom and I haven't had a great relationship. Especially the last few years we'd fight a lot and I'll admit some of it's my fault. My mom rips into me saying about my brother said I could come over and sleep with my one roommate who he's had the hots for since we became besties during our sophomore year of high school and a bunch of other untrue stuff. Basically, my mom ended up saying a bunch of angry stuff to me and I said a bunch of angry stuff back to her resulting in the huge fight I mentioned. She said she doesn't want my dad and I going to any more American football games together and if I want to go see them, I should go by myself. This really infuriated me because this has been a tradition my dad and I have had since I was a little girl.

I'm not sure what to do or say to her. We've always fought but we could also work things out. But I'm not sure how to work out this fight we had.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Does your dad know about this. Either way you may want to ask whether he is ok/can do anything about this. You may also want to apologise to your mum (maybe do this first) for the harsh things you said and then tell her that your brother was lying about sleeping with your roommate and how you didn't agree to that. Lastly ask if you can go to the games with your dad.
catchrylie
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does your dad know about this. Either way you may want to ask whether he is ok/can do anything about this. You may also want to apologise to your mum (maybe do this first) for the harsh things you said and then tell her that your brother was lying about sleeping with your roommate and how you didn't agree to that. Lastly ask if you can go to the games with your dad.
I did talk to my dad and he knew nothing about us not being able to go to games together. I also asked him about my brother and he said he'd see what he could do about the situation.

I have apologized to my mom before after fights. I think my mom is disappointed I wasn't more like her. See, my mom was head cheerleader when she was in school. I did do cheer when I was little and I didn't care for it. My mom was very disappointed when I didn't want to continue when I could be a junior varsity cheerleader when I was in 7th grade. She hated that I told her I wanted to play junior varsity field hockey. I also fell in love with swimming and softball during that year. She hated I didn't want to follow in her stillettos and become a paralegal or my dad's loafers and become an accountant. When I told her I wanted to become a nurse, she about blew her top. She thought it would be best for me to become a doctor or a lawyer because that is where the notariety and money come from. She thought if I could make as much money as I could and win me a trophy husband, that I would be taken care of for the rest of my life. When I expained to her that I wanted to help people and I could make plenty of money as a nurse, she didn't want to believe me. She also didn't want to believe me when I told her my brother was lying and he had said what he said and the rest was a fabrication.

I did mention permission to go to games with my dad and he told me he'd talk to mom. I think I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't go to another American college football game with him. Go on one of our yearly pilgrimages to AT&T Stadium in Dallas to watc the Cowboys play. Or go to Globe Life Field to watch the Texas Rangers play a baseball game. Plus, we sometimes make trips to Houston to watch sports down there if we have the time to do so.
OmniMas Chan
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by catchrylie)
I did talk to my dad and he knew nothing about us not being able to go to games together. I also asked him about my brother and he said he'd see what he could do about the situation.

I have apologized to my mom before after fights. I think my mom is disappointed I wasn't more like her. See, my mom was head cheerleader when she was in school. I did do cheer when I was little and I didn't care for it. My mom was very disappointed when I didn't want to continue when I could be a junior varsity cheerleader when I was in 7th grade. She hated that I told her I wanted to play junior varsity field hockey. I also fell in love with swimming and softball during that year. She hated I didn't want to follow in her stillettos and become a paralegal or my dad's loafers and become an accountant. When I told her I wanted to become a nurse, she about blew her top. She thought it would be best for me to become a doctor or a lawyer because that is where the notariety and money come from. She thought if I could make as much money as I could and win me a trophy husband, that I would be taken care of for the rest of my life. When I expained to her that I wanted to help people and I could make plenty of money as a nurse, she didn't want to believe me. She also didn't want to believe me when I told her my brother was lying and he had said what he said and the rest was a fabrication.

I did mention permission to go to games with my dad and he told me he'd talk to mom. I think I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't go to another American college football game with him. Go on one of our yearly pilgrimages to AT&T Stadium in Dallas to watc the Cowboys play. Or go to Globe Life Field to watch the Texas Rangers play a baseball game. Plus, we sometimes make trips to Houston to watch sports down there if we have the time to do so.
Hmm well, I say give it some time before you talk to your mother again and try and reconcile with her and see where both your problems with each other may be. Talk to each other and try and make time to spend with her to see if that helps with reconnecting and improving your relationship with her. I myself have had quite a lot of fights with my parents so what I do is give it a couple of days to cool my nerves and then I go and apologise and talk to them about why I did this and what I said and how I feel and so on and so on. I understand that this time may feel different since it was a huge fight but if you give it some time and talk to her afterwards then it'll be like any other time and things will return back to normal. My advice is kinda crap so sorry if this doesn't help at all but hopefully, it benefits you somehow. Hopefully, things will get better between you and your Mum and you continue to go to games with your Dad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (16)
8.89%
Okay (54)
30%
A bit lacking (62)
34.44%
Not good at all (48)
26.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed