The Student Room Group

Struggling with whether to quit job?

I am busy, like so busy. And it's not fun. 6th form and uni applications, medicine admissions tests and interviews and then my job as well. I'm managing but I can't help feel I'd be having a much easier time of it if I quit. And I'm only going to get busier as the year goes on, my mock revision is already lacking.

But I kind of do need the money. I have to pay for my own gym membership (which I don't want to quit), and phone and bus pass and lunches. And I will have to have some money saved for uni too. I have got savings, but I feel like they'll be 90% gone by June when I can start working again, assuming I can even get a summer job.

I'd also feel really bad about leaving just before Christmas, I have to give 4 weeks notice so realistically I won't be leaving until the end of November really.

I don't know, I'm really conflicted, It's objectively a good job to have. Pretty close to where I live, pays really really well 9.50/hr. Co-workers are all nice people. But it seriously drains me, even though I only do 2 6-hour nights a week. I finish at 11 for one. But even the job itself. I don't know why, my last job never left me feeling like this.

I don't know, anyone got advice?
Original post by themartinipolice
I am busy, like so busy. And it's not fun. 6th form and uni applications, medicine admissions tests and interviews and then my job as well. I'm managing but I can't help feel I'd be having a much easier time of it if I quit. And I'm only going to get busier as the year goes on, my mock revision is already lacking.

But I kind of do need the money. I have to pay for my own gym membership (which I don't want to quit), and phone and bus pass and lunches. And I will have to have some money saved for uni too. I have got savings, but I feel like they'll be 90% gone by June when I can start working again, assuming I can even get a summer job.

I'd also feel really bad about leaving just before Christmas, I have to give 4 weeks notice so realistically I won't be leaving until the end of November really.

I don't know, I'm really conflicted, It's objectively a good job to have. Pretty close to where I live, pays really really well 9.50/hr. Co-workers are all nice people. But it seriously drains me, even though I only do 2 6-hour nights a week. I finish at 11 for one. But even the job itself. I don't know why, my last job never left me feeling like this.

I don't know, anyone got advice?

Have consider swapping your job to weekends if it easier to do this....!!! Do either long day on Saturday or a Sunday and concertrate the week days on everything else till next summer and then go back and work extra days etc...
Original post by Tracey_W
Have consider swapping your job to weekends if it easier to do this....!!! Do either long day on Saturday or a Sunday and concertrate the week days on everything else till next summer and then go back and work extra days etc...

Yeah I've tried. Also tried cutting down my hours a bit but no. it's because I'm a) the youngest person there, like by far. The next youngest is about 30 and most are in their 40s. and b) I think I'm the only one there without kids. So they don't let me do any days on the weekend, I do work Saturday night, and then a weeknight from 5 until 11
Original post by themartinipolice
Yeah I've tried. Also tried cutting down my hours a bit but no. it's because I'm a) the youngest person there, like by far. The next youngest is about 30 and most are in their 40s. and b) I think I'm the only one there without kids. So they don't let me do any days on the weekend, I do work Saturday night, and then a weeknight from 5 until 11

Ok I see your predictement with things with this particular job as not prepared to help out .

Only other option would be find another job that you can do at weekends only as there are out there depending on what you willing to do.

Understand you with applications for medicine as been there myself for my midwifing degree and still hold down a job at time full time but went part-time when went to university . I'm now qualified midwife. Still working part-time job as well as fulltime midwifing as four day's off allow me to do it still.
Reply 4
Ultimately what’s going to matter most in 5 and 10 years’ time is your A levels and medicine applications.

So if your job is interfering with that, I’d look for another one that won’t.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending