Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I started studying Biomedical Science at uni last year, and I found it quite challenging academically, alongside not being able to fully enjoy it as everything was online. Consequently, I left the course about halfway through the year, and applied to studying Digital Design for 2021/22. I'm now about a month into my 'second' year at uni, and I absolutely hate it. Everything has opened back up now, so I'm able to go to lectures and go out clubbing, but for some reason, I'm just so miserable, and I'm considering dropping out.

I was unsure about going to uni in the first place, however it's my dream to move abroad in the future. I figured my best bet at achieving that was to get a degree to prove I am able to work. I want to be an animator or work on video games which I would need qualifications for, but both my first and second year at uni have been so horrible and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Should I drop out? I don't want to disappoint my parents, and I wouldn't even know what to do without uni. Plus, I'd have to find someone to take over from me at my uni house (which is also part of the reason I'm not enjoying uni). Any advice?
standardolo
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I started studying Biomedical Science at uni last year, and I found it quite challenging academically, alongside not being able to fully enjoy it as everything was online. Consequently, I left the course about halfway through the year, and applied to studying Digital Design for 2021/22. I'm now about a month into my 'second' year at uni, and I absolutely hate it. Everything has opened back up now, so I'm able to go to lectures and go out clubbing, but for some reason, I'm just so miserable, and I'm considering dropping out.

I was unsure about going to uni in the first place, however it's my dream to move abroad in the future. I figured my best bet at achieving that was to get a degree to prove I am able to work. I want to be an animator or work on video games which I would need qualifications for, but both my first and second year at uni have been so horrible and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Should I drop out? I don't want to disappoint my parents, and I wouldn't even know what to do without uni. Plus, I'd have to find someone to take over from me at my uni house (which is also part of the reason I'm not enjoying uni). Any advice?
Don't
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi there!

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying University, it can be really tough at times and it can be hard to put your finger down on what exactly the issue is. I would strongly advise you to push through till at least Christmas, perhaps you could go home for a weekend and chill out and reset before you return back. Maybe you could work out how to approach University differently, like join some new societies, try out something new e.g. a new hobby/sport, this might help you meet new people, and new experiences are always something positive even if you don't end up continuing with the society.

However, if you do get to Christmas and you really don't want to continue then don't worry - there is always other options, but just make sure that you have a clear plan of what you will do if you do choose to drop out of Uni, because you will feel worse if you drop out, go back home but have nothing else to do.

I hope that you do start to enjoy things more, don't worry if you have some down days, its can be a surprisingly tough time and I think that many people don't recognise that fully

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads