The Student Room Group

I'm bad at football...

...How do I improve?

Never been played outside of school in my life, mostly always got picked last in PE but I love watching and supporting though the game. I'm thinking of training or improving my skills but how?...
take lessons
Original post by tinygirl96
take lessons

where or how do you take lessons?
contact sports clubs
Original post by tinygirl96
contact sports clubs

whats with the short and vague answers
I was always bad at football in school and still am useless at the sport but I think I turned out ok without it anyways. I always got picked last and it got to a point where I didn't care anymore.
Reply 6
Believe in yourself and stop doubting your abilities, win it in your head and everything will fall into place with right training drills,quality practices alone like trying some juggling skills, improvement will be a matter of time💪
Just like any other skill- you have to spend time practicing. To become a master at a skill, you need to spend 10,000 hours (9 years ish) on it practicing.

I’ve always been good at football- played for a team for like 3 years, and another team for 4 (as a striker). I’m not cristiano Ronaldo but I can put the ball top bins. I became athletic/fast from very early on and all I did was practice.

I second tinygirl- best way to practice is either by contacting football clubs near you to see if they’re recruiting, or just practice with a friend at the park.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Just like any other skill- you have to spend time practicing. To become a master at a skill, you need to spend 10,000 hours (9 years ish) on it practicing.

I’ve always been good at football- played for a team for like 3 years, and another team for 4 (as a striker). I’m not cristiano Ronaldo but I can put the ball top bins. I became athletic/fast from very early on and all I did was practice.

I second tinygirl- best way to practice is either by contacting football clubs near you to see if they’re recruiting, or just practice with a friend at the park.

Do these clubs accept ppl like me, e.g. I can't play a basic pass properly without scuffing it.
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
Do these clubs accept ppl like me, e.g. I can't play a basic pass properly without scuffing it.

Depends on what league you want to play in. You obviously have to just apply from the bottom and work your way up
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Depends on what league you want to play in. You obviously have to just apply from the bottom and work your way up

ah I see, and there are practice sessions to go along with it I assume
ah I see, and there are practice sessions to go along with it I assume

Yeah, it’s normally like training sessions every Thursday and Wednesdays for example. Like with actual coaches and a full team.

If you’re not confident for the pressure yet then just go to a park, literally and practice. You could put cones on the floor to practice your dribbling, and you could also check YouTube for advice on how to dribble/pass/do skills/shoot the ball etc
(edited 2 years ago)
Moved to Sport! :smile:

...How do I improve?

Never been played outside of school in my life, mostly always got picked last in PE but I love watching and supporting though the game. I'm thinking of training or improving my skills but how?...

Take lessons and join a sport or better a football club for that.
...How do I improve?

Start with a football try running with a football and kciking the ball of the wall and controlling it 1s thats improved then try shooting

Quick Reply

Latest