What degree do you do and what career do you want out of it?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A lot of people i know do a degree then have a completely unrelated job afterwards (e.g. history grad becoming a hairdresser or accounting grad going into retail full time). This is either due to them not currently being able to get a job in their chosen sector, who they realise they actually have no interest in their undergrad. So I'm interested in what people do/ have done as a degree and what job they want/ are doing after they finish(ed)?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A lot of people i know do a degree then have a completely unrelated job afterwards (e.g. history grad becoming a hairdresser or accounting grad going into retail full time). This is either due to them not currently being able to get a job in their chosen sector, who they realise they actually have no interest in their undergrad. So I'm interested in what people do/ have done as a degree and what job they want/ are doing after they finish(ed)?
History and English. I want to go into historical research (PhD and then go on to lecturing too) and writing.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Classical Studies

I want to set up an online tutoring company for home educated students.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Dentistry and dentist.
Callicious
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Comp Astrophysics- want to be a HS teacher some day in the far future. Until then, do a PhD and work in some stopgap job until teaching becomes a viable job prospect.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
philosophy

I can teach in schools and in universities

I currently work in a well-known university
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Classical Studies

I want to set up an online tutoring company for home educated students.
You don’t need a degree for this.
cleveranimal56
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Obviously. But a degree really helps when you want to become proficient at teaching a certain subject area.
Last edited by cleveranimal56; 1 month ago
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Social work - i want to help either domestic violence victims or people with mental health issues
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm aware, however I want a degree for my own sense of self worth.

(Original post by cleveranimal56)
Obviously. But a degree really helps when you want to become proficient at teaching a certain subject area.
Also this.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
... So I'm interested in what people do/ have done as a degree and what job they want/ are doing after they finish(ed)?
Medicine / Doctor
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Chemistry and research scientist
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Early Childhood Studies + PGCE.
I am a primary school teacher
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Moonlight Rain)
Social work - i want to help either domestic violence victims or people with mental health issues
amazing...good luck with it all! you really get to see the dark side of society with those careers, so good on u for going for it!
nathan1403
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I've got a degree in English but no clue what to do with it Here's some people I know instead, they have all actually got these jobs:
Pharmacology -> research scientist
English -> secondary school teacher
Sociology -> journalist
Geography -> horse riding instructor
Biochemistry -> pub manager
Moonlight Rain
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
amazing...good luck with it all! you really get to see the dark side of society with those careers, so good on u for going for it!
Thanks so much! You will meet people at the worst point of their lives or people who have done unspeakable crimes so you'll have to have a lot of emotional stability but it is definitely a rewarding career to get into. Only in first year though, I am looking forward for the placements in my second year
HoldThisL
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i did a ppe degree, wanted to do something technical and now sit half way as an analyst in a fintech company

but the career journey is far from over and i will find my calling
I'mnotginger
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Chemical engineering and a chemical engineer
Peace24
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Dietetics and I’m looking to pair it up with being a professional golfer
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Biology - trading at a bank or trading shop
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (14)
10.53%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (3)
2.26%
Finding the time to revise (9)
6.77%
Finding the motivation (38)
28.57%
Getting distracted (17)
12.78%
Procrastination (51)
38.35%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.75%

Watched Threads