synoptic links (general info about 30 mark essays)

Watch
henrybones
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have my first exam coming up - a 30 mark essay- and I've never really done a question like it before. I know what a synoptic link is but what would it look like on paper and where id put them. also, what should be in the introduction? the essay is on devolution. any help or general tips regarding the 30 markers would be much appreciated
shivam_47395
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by henrybones)
I have my first exam coming up - a 30 mark essay- and I've never really done a question like it before. I know what a synoptic link is but what would it look like on paper and where id put them. also, what should be in the introduction? the essay is on devolution. any help or general tips regarding the 30 markers would be much appreciated
Hi! I would introduce what devolution is, and then outline the points of the essay. That is your introduction. And when I say outline, I basically mean just list the pros and cons of the argument.

I would generally slip the synoptic link in as part of your analysis.

What is the exam question?
henrybones
Rep:
(Original post by shivam_47395)
Hi! I would introduce what devolution is, and then outline the points of the essay. That is your introduction. And when I say outline, I basically mean just list the pros and cons of the argument.

for synoptic links how much detail would it be or would it just be simple statement for example .... this happened due to rising nationalism. or does it require more detail. thanks aswell
henrybones
Rep:
(Original post by shivam_47395)

Devolution is the process of delegating power from the Westminster parliament to specific regions and to regional assembly/parliaments, however, this power could be returned via a single statute meaning there can be a transfer of power without eroding parliamentary sovereignty. Blair introduced devolution in the late 90s to appease nationalists and win more seats. Some people suggest that devolution united the union as more people trusted the government and it allowed for more radical and targeted policies, despite this devolution has fractured the union due to several significant factors. would something like this be okay for an intro
shivam_47395
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Devolution is the process of delegating power from the Westminster parliament to specific regions and to regional assembly/parliaments, however, this power could be returned via a single statute meaning there can be a transfer of power without eroding parliamentary sovereignty. Blair introduced devolution in the late 90s to appease nationalists and win more seats. Some people suggest that devolution united the union as more people trusted the government and it allowed for more radical and targeted policies, despite this devolution has fractured the union due to several significant factors. would something like this be okay for an intro
Yes, that sounds like a great intro so far! I like what I see.

The beauty of politics is that you can use modern, up-to-date examples, such as the different strategies for exiting lockdown. Talk about how Scotland and Wales have COVID-19 Passes.

You could also say that, from the unionist POV, devolution backfired because it gave the nationalists more ammunition to want more independence. (Here, you could talk about how the SNP would LOVE to have a second independence referendum, thinking that Brexit is the reason why they are owed one. (Scotland voted to remain, and the Brexit referendum removed the country from the trading bloc against its will).
shivam_47395
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
for synoptic links how much detail would it be or would it just be simple statement for example .... this happened due to rising nationalism. or does it require more detail. thanks aswell
First and foremost, I would make sure the synoptic link is related to the question you are given. For instance, you can link political parties to pressure groups if you have an essay about them e.g. CBI is generally an Insider group whenever the Conservatives are in power.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads