The Student Room Group

How do you make friends?

I'm 19, female. I've never really had a massive friend group, just small groups of around 6 maximum. But I was always the least favourite friend in those groups. I think that's mainly because I used to be insanely shy, and hated school so walked around all the time with a RBF.

But I've left school now, and my sixth form *acquaintances*, wouldn't call them good friends, have left for uni. So they're all busy now and we don't talk, even though I tried to stay in contact. I've had a part time job for about a year now, and I've made no friends. Partly because I work in a supermarket with elderly workers. There a couple people my age and I try to talk to them whenever we are on the same shift, but they don't seem interested and walk off.

I mean I think I've just been unlucky that no one young works with me, and anyone my age works different shifts. Most shifts I work I'm the youngest there, closest to my age is probably around late twenties, and I'm not overly keen on having a 30 year old bestie.

But I don't know how to make friends other than work. I'm looking for another job but I don't know a good place with young workers, I only know places like Starbucks and a WHSmith near me, but I can't bring myself to work for minimum wage. I don't really want to go to college or uni, so that's out of the question. I live in a village/in the middle of nowhere so I couldn't join a club or anything as I don't drive and wouldn't be able to afford getting public transport that often.

I don't know what to dooooo. I know most of you would say it's my fault, it probably seems like I'm being negative and not putting effort in - but don't say that because I am trying to talk to people online and offline and looking for new jobs, and this is affecting my mental health :biggrin: Any ideas? Thanks.
Be bold, loud and most importantly just be yourself! People will like you for you :smile: What about customers in the shop? Maybe you could start chatting to them and and you never know a friendship could form out of that! Or what about asking your friends from uni if they want to go on a night out etc then maybe you could meet some people from the uni there.. Just a few options but best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending