The Student Room Group

Anxiety attacks

Hello I was wondering if anyone had ways of calming myself down whilst I’m having a anxiety attack?
I use the 333 rule when I’m not that short of breath sometimes but it doesn’t actually help tho
Usually I can’t speak, I just sit there while I shake and cry and my heartbeat gets faster every second
I would rlly appreciate a way of coping or distracting myself bc I normally have my friend that sits beside me and talks a lot, gives me water etc but I don’t want to worry her anymore so I need to handle it on my own
When I did cbt they just suggested distraction techniques. Like looking for every red item around you. Or on the tube, saying the tube stops in backwards order. Depending on your surroundings of course. That’s more to stop it starting rather than when in full grip.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello I was wondering if anyone had ways of calming myself down whilst I’m having a anxiety attack?
I use the 333 rule when I’m not that short of breath sometimes but it doesn’t actually help tho
Usually I can’t speak, I just sit there while I shake and cry and my heartbeat gets faster every second
I would rlly appreciate a way of coping or distracting myself bc I normally have my friend that sits beside me and talks a lot, gives me water etc but I don’t want to worry her anymore so I need to handle it on my own

What is causing these attacks?

Hiiii beautiful, my best advice is because I’ve had multiple panic attack, try the grounding rule, it makes your mind go off whatever ur stressing about, the grounding technique is where you list 5 things you see around you, 4 things you can touch around you,3 things you can hear, find 2 things that are the same colour in the room and lastly, just breathe In and out because when you have panic attacks it’s like you’ve lost control with whats around you but the grounding technique helps you be aware of your surroundings and helps your mind take off, or you could breathe in for 4 seconds breathe out for 4 seconds, hold your breathe for 4 seconds and let all your anxiety go through the last 4 seconds, or you could try some meditation it honestly helps so much. I hope your panic attacks ease down I wish you the best in life, you are enough and are worth millions 💛
Reply 4
Original post by YouAreEnough
Hiiii beautiful, my best advice is because I’ve had multiple panic attack, try the grounding rule, it makes your mind go off whatever ur stressing about, the grounding technique is where you list 5 things you see around you, 4 things you can touch around you,3 things you can hear, find 2 things that are the same colour in the room and lastly, just breathe In and out because when you have panic attacks it’s like you’ve lost control with whats around you but the grounding technique helps you be aware of your surroundings and helps your mind take off, or you could breathe in for 4 seconds breathe out for 4 seconds, hold your breathe for 4 seconds and let all your anxiety go through the last 4 seconds, or you could try some meditation it honestly helps so much. I hope your panic attacks ease down I wish you the best in life, you are enough and are worth millions 💛

U are rlly sweet, thank u very much for ur response
I appreciate ur advice and methods 💜
I completely lose my mind sometimes can’t even focus on anything tho, like my surroundings just become blurred out
Reply 5
What is causing these attacks?

Well ever since I was 10 or sum I was diagnosed w depression and have vt (which, in my case is abnormal heartbeat rate)
Most of the time it happens randomly, like almost 2 weeks ago I was sitting in class and had a attack out of nowhere and couldn’t control it
Reply 6
Original post by Catherine1973
When I did cbt they just suggested distraction techniques. Like looking for every red item around you. Or on the tube, saying the tube stops in backwards order. Depending on your surroundings of course. That’s more to stop it starting rather than when in full grip.

Thank u 💜
Reply 7
Why doibnt you get some anti anxiety meds from the doctor, if you have a heart rate thats high beta blockers might be a useful line for them to explore? Then again im not a doctor so they might find something more useful for your situation
I just go watch YouTube or cope in unhealthy ways. Or just go take a nap.

Quick Reply

Latest