Seeing what happened to a blockmate, I am afraid

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
His student ID card suddenly didn't work for entry to our hall block, and needed to call someone to “bail him in”. Why on Earth would this happen?

Not only do I fear for him, but also I am afraid of this happening to me. I am literally trying out my card for multiple times a day to make sure it is fine.

Lord, have mercy!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Doesnt sound like much of an issue tbh... but said cards, depending on what they are, can be wiped by being near your phone, magnets etc.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Napp)
Doesnt sound like much of an issue tbh... but said cards, depending on what they are, can be wiped by being near your phone, magnets etc.
It doesn't make any difference if a thief grabs your card to get into your block
Napp
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It doesn't make any difference if a thief grabs your card to get into your block
What has a 'thief' got to do with the original post ?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Napp)
What has a 'thief' got to do with the original post ?
You may think about it
Desideri
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If a thief grabs your card but then can’t get in… surely that would be a good thing?
What are you actually worried about?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Good grief.
Napp
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You may think about it
Yeah, i'd rather not. Really don't care about it that much :lol:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Napp)
Yeah, i'd rather not. Really don't care about it that much :lol:
Whatever floats the boat
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So is the problem that an entry card might spontaneously decide to stop working, or that you might be robbed? Because those seem like unrelated issues.

Have you considered what might happen if you suffered a brain aneurysm and dropped your card down a sewer grate? Or if a gust of wind blew it into a bird’s nest just out of reach?
Napp
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
So is the problem that an entry card might spontaneously decide to stop working, or that you might be robbed? Because those seem like unrelated issues.

Have you considered what might happen if you suffered a brain aneurysm and dropped your card down a sewer grate? Or if a gust of wind blew it into a bird’s nest just out of reach?
What if it turns out to be one of the long lost relics, come back in swipe card form?
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
What if it turns out to be one of the long lost relics, come back in swipe card form?
The accommodation team really went all out this year!
Anonymous #1

Equally scary, I would say
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Equally scary, I would say
Fortunately, if your card blanks itself, a quick call to residential/accommodation/security services will resolve the matter. So no need to fear there. For the other scenarios you are on you own though.
Anonymous #1
Fortunately, if your card blanks itself, a quick call to residential/accommodation/security services will resolve the matter. So no need to fear there. For the other scenarios you are on you own though.
You have a point, but that's gonna be troublesome. Hope that wouldn't happen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.94%
Okay (104)
29.55%
A bit lacking (128)
36.36%
Not good at all (85)
24.15%

Watched Threads