Hit & Run, I have got the number plate, but what do I do next?

Watch
cbaforcba
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Last night, whilst I was in the car, a young lad was on the other lane trying to parallel park and where the front of his car swung around he hit me leaving some paintwork damage, he looked at me, said sorry, I could see his hand on the gear stick and I assumed he was gonna pull over, but no, he drove off. I had the number plate and all necessary details and therefore already reported it to the police.

However this isn't the issue, a few months back, I was in the same situation, being the driver at fault which I will happily admit. I'm a fairly young driver myself, fortunately it was a similar minor bump, me and the other driver were happy to inform our insurers without putting a claim through, however they changed up there mind last minute and decided to put in a claim, this was a few months back, annoyingly it still says "In progress" when I view the claim on my insurance app. So that was 5 years no claims gone, but fortunately I had a years protected.

What can I do now? As I know it's the right thing to do, I want to inform my insurer and provide the crime reference number etc, but what is gonna happen from there? With it looking like some little damage, something that cash in hand would've been great for, I don't really want to put through a claim on my end, I'd just rather get on with it or hope that the other driver admits fault.

There were no witnesses other than me and my dad, the young driver and his young friend. Is there a way I can report this to my insurer stating that I do not want to make a claim if the other driver isn't found, but if they are and admit fault, I would like to do so? I know when it comes to insurance for the next year, I will have to say that I have had a crash etc, but providing I dont make a claim on my insurance, by either just leaving it or going through there's, I'll still have my remaining year, right?

Also, I have read up on this getting another drivers details online via a V888 or something like that, I would still much rather go through cash in hand, so if I were to do this, am I doing anything wrong leaving a note on the car asking for a call? The incident happened pretty close to my house btw, so I'm sure they must live local, I've already checked and there vehicle is taxed and insured etc.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cbaforcba)
Last night, whilst I was in the car, a young lad was on the other lane trying to parallel park and where the front of his car swung around he hit me leaving some paintwork damage, he looked at me, said sorry, I could see his hand on the gear stick and I assumed he was gonna pull over, but no, he drove off. I had the number plate and all necessary details and therefore already reported it to the police.

However this isn't the issue, a few months back, I was in the same situation, being the driver at fault which I will happily admit. I'm a fairly young driver myself, fortunately it was a similar minor bump, me and the other driver were happy to inform our insurers without putting a claim through, however they changed up there mind last minute and decided to put in a claim, this was a few months back, annoyingly it still says "In progress" when I view the claim on my insurance app. So that was 5 years no claims gone, but fortunately I had a years protected.

What can I do now? As I know it's the right thing to do, I want to inform my insurer and provide the crime reference number etc, but what is gonna happen from there? With it looking like some little damage, something that cash in hand would've been great for, I don't really want to put through a claim on my end, I'd just rather get on with it or hope that the other driver admits fault.

There were no witnesses other than me and my dad, the young driver and his young friend. Is there a way I can report this to my insurer stating that I do not want to make a claim if the other driver isn't found, but if they are and admit fault, I would like to do so? I know when it comes to insurance for the next year, I will have to say that I have had a crash etc, but providing I dont make a claim on my insurance, by either just leaving it or going through there's, I'll still have my remaining year, right?

Also, I have read up on this getting another drivers details online via a V888 or something like that, I would still much rather go through cash in hand, so if I were to do this, am I doing anything wrong leaving a note on the car asking for a call? The incident happened pretty close to my house btw, so I'm sure they must live local, I've already checked and there vehicle is taxed and insured etc.
You're obligated to inform your insurance company regardless of your intention to claim.
cbaforcba
Rep:
(Original post by IWMTom)
You're obligated to inform your insurance company regardless of your intention to claim.
Yeah, I spoke to Hastings and they were very helpful, currently just logged the incident as I said I do not want to claim at the moment just due to the little damage, will sleep on it and then decide.

I would much rather the police just deal with it in terms of points etc.

Would you happen to know if there is anyway I could get in contact with the other driver to say that if they are willing to settle it privately, at worse they will get points? I also know that if the police do get involved, they can make the other party pay for repairs aswell.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I spoke to Hastings and they were very helpful, currently just logged the incident as I said I do not want to claim at the moment just due to the little damage, will sleep on it and then decide.

I would much rather the police just deal with it in terms of points etc.

Would you happen to know if there is anyway I could get in contact with the other driver to say that if they are willing to settle it privately, at worse they will get points? I also know that if the police do get involved, they can make the other party pay for repairs aswell.
Why aren't you claiming on the policy of the other party? Were they insured?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Am I reading this wrong or are you expecting the police to help you conceal the process from your insurer and essentially help you extort the other driver? That doesn't sound realistic.. why would the police first reply not be 'Go through your insurer?'
cbaforcba
Rep:
Why aren't you claiming on the policy of the other party? Were they insured?
Yes they were insured.

I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow, I'll just be honest, what happened to my car happens to parked cars fairly often, has happened to my car aswell when I havent been in it, it was just fortunate timing that I happened to get the reg plate, point being that if I wasn't in the car, yes I'd be annoyed, but would leave it as that.

Also yes, they were insured, clearly just a young driver who seriously messed up.

Yeah, probably coming across as very stupid here, but it's just how I'm feeling about it right now.
cbaforcba
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
Am I reading this wrong or are you expecting the police to help you conceal the process from your insurer and essentially help you extort the other driver? That doesn't sound realistic.. why would the police first reply not be 'Go through your insurer?'
Yes, straight after my reply I realised It was a pretty stupid assumption.

I'm just going to sleep on it and decide if I want to claim.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes they were insured.

I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow, I'll just be honest, what happened to my car happens to parked cars fairly often, has happened to my car aswell when I havent been in it, it was just fortunate timing that I happened to get the reg plate, point being that if I wasn't in the car, yes I'd be annoyed, but would leave it as that.

Also yes, they were insured, clearly just a young driver who seriously messed up.

Yeah, probably coming across as very stupid here, but it's just how I'm feeling about it right now.
I'm confused....
Why aren't you claiming on THEIR policy?
cbaforcba
Rep:
I'm confused....
Why aren't you claiming on THEIR policy?
Just quickly, the only information I had was the number plate and car, no names etc.

So if I am to call up now, with just this information, can I state that I would like to pursue the claim, but only if they are deemed to be at fault?
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Just quickly, the only information I had was the number plate and car, no names etc.

So if I am to call up now, with just this information, can I state that I would like to pursue the claim, but only if they are deemed to be at fault?
Call them and initiate a claim. They'll contact the driver for an explanation (and boy they won't be happy..)

You can obtain the name of their insurance company via AskMID.
Last edited by IWMTom; 1 month ago
cbaforcba
Rep:
Call them and initiate a claim. They'll contact the driver for an explanation (and boy they won't be happy..)

Thank you man!

On the phone now
cbaforcba
Rep:

So just to sum up, so far I have a police report number and as I said, I've informed my insurance, I did say that I was unsure if I wanted to make a claim as of yet.

I just ran the MID check, paid for it so have all the relevant information in terms of contact number for claims etc, what do I do with this information myself? I'm abit confused. I've seen somewhere that I can go directly to his insurance myself, or is this only to get contact details?

The existing claims line at Hastings (My Insurance) was shut, so they just told me to call up tomorrow, it's probably a good thing as I'll be able to call up with the others drivers information

Many thanks
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So just to sum up, so far I have a police report number and as I said, I've informed my insurance, I did say that I was unsure if I wanted to make a claim as of yet.

I just ran the MID check, paid for it so have all the relevant information in terms of contact number for claims etc, what do I do with this information myself? I'm abit confused. I've seen somewhere that I can go directly to his insurance myself, or is this only to get contact details?

The existing claims line at Hastings (My Insurance) was shut, so they just told me to call up tomorrow, it's probably a good thing as I'll be able to call up with the others drivers information

Many thanks
They already have the other drivers information.

You can contact the other parties insurer and initiate a claim.
cbaforcba
Rep:
They already have the other drivers information.

You can contact the other parties insurer and initiate a claim.
I called up and said I would like to make a claim through one of their drivers policy and then straight away I was told I need to do this through my insurance, I did say it was a hit & run, not really sure with what to do now?
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I called up and said I would like to make a claim through one of their drivers policy and then straight away I was told I need to do this through my insurance, I did say it was a hit & run, not really sure with what to do now?
I disagree with the information you've been given.

Nevermind. Your insurer will be more inclined to assist. They'll reclaim from the third party for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.94%
Okay (104)
29.55%
A bit lacking (128)
36.36%
Not good at all (85)
24.15%

Watched Threads