themartinipolice
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Not the most important part of the university experience of course, but something I would still like.

I've just applied to medicine there and I'm suddenly wary of spending half my 20s in a place with little LGBT activity. I have to get an offer first of course haha, but compared to my other choices like Brighton where there is a notoriously large LGBT scene, it's just something a bit on my mind. I'm not expecting it to be like Brighton or London, but adequate?

I'm aware there is an LGBT society, but how active and involved in this, outside of this, or even including this, is it difficult to meet other gay people? Is there any culture of homophobia in the uni?

Thanks
Last edited by themartinipolice; 1 month ago
DecoyFerret
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I am pretty sure that Cambridge is the ground zero for LGBT
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

As someone who has been a queer student in Cambridge (and still is queer and in Cambridge), it's a pretty LGBTQ+ friendly city as a whole. There is no dedicated LGBTQ+ venue, which is sad, but one of the clubs hosts an LGBTQ+ night every week. It's currently called Glitterbomb, but has been through many iterations during my time in the city!

If that's not your scene, there are other events, including more relaxed drinks, talks, picnics and games nights run by Cambridge SU LGBT Campaign and other LGBTQ+ groups. Each college has an LGBT rep on their JCR (undergrad committee) and most will have them of one on their MCR (graduate student committee) too.

Even outside of official LGBTQ+ events, you're likely to meet other queer people. In fact, I'd say it'd be pretty difficult for you to go through six years at Cambridge without meeting other queer people! And while I won't say that you definitely won't experience homophobia, it's much more likely to be an individual-level thing, rather than institutionalised. There's not a culture of homophobia within the university and there are groups at university-level who work towards making the university a better place for queer people than it already is. Some colleges are beginning to have specific LGBTQ+ Fellows who students can go to if they have a problem and we're hoping that other colleges will follow suit.

I hope this helps! If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask here or PM me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.91%
Okay (94)
29.1%
A bit lacking (118)
36.53%
Not good at all (79)
24.46%

Watched Threads