Am I meant to be paying income tax?

Watch
realRXCH
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I started working in June and one of my co-workers told me that I am not meant to be paying income tax if I'm not making £12,570 for the current tax year, which I currently am not. I am on £10.85 an hour with 12 contracted hours a week, but am currently working around 22 hours a week. Am I meant to be paying income tax or am I due a refund on the income tax I have already paid?
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Typically you get a refund at the end of the tax year for any over paid tax. If you ring HMRC and explain your working arrangements they may be able to adjust your tax code or give you a refund earlier
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by realRXCH)
I started working in June and one of my co-workers told me that I am not meant to be paying income tax if I'm not making £12,570 for the current tax year, which I currently am not. I am on £10.85 an hour with 12 contracted hours a week, but am currently working around 22 hours a week. Am I meant to be paying income tax or am I due a refund on the income tax I have already paid?
Like the other poster said, you automatically get a refund on any overpaid tax at the end of the year.
But if you think you are on the wrong tax code and you are getting over taxed regularly, ring up hmrc (a quick google search with give you the number) and they will adjust your tax code to the right one. You should then get any overpaid tax back next payday.
Vortexswirls
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by realRXCH)
Whenever you start a new job you need to give your new employer your P45 from your previous job, otherwise they won't know what tax code to put you on, and will default to the BR code (basic rate), at 20% of everything. You therefore receive no personal allowance at all up to the normal 2.5k ish, and will pay 20% tax. Your payslip should tell you what tax code they're using for you.
Last edited by Vortexswirls; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise