Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello

I’ve sent off my UCAS looking at Manchester’s 2021’s LLB Law entry reqs
They’ve made it A*AA this year! WTFFFFF!!!

Has anyone else signed up for Manchester looking at the wrong years, perhaps it’s just me but i’m really shocked.
I really wanted to go to Manchester and although my predicted are higher than the entry requirements, I just don’t like gambles :/.

(It was AAA in 2021, A*AA now for 2022 entry)
awc14
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello

Has anyone else signed up for Manchester looking at the wrong years, perhaps it’s just me but i’m really shocked.
I really wanted to go to Manchester and although my predicted are higher than the entry requirements, I just don’t like gambles :/.
yep, I’ve applied for compsci at uom which has gone up to A*A*A* . probably all because of grade inflation.
Layla1712
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hello

This was me, I wanted to apply for politics and IR which was AAB for 2021 entry but now it’s AAA and considering it’s not top 10 for Politics I decided not to apply!

I went and visited there yesterday and the city is AMAZING best U.K. city I’ve ever been too. Uni campus is alright reminded me of some retail park tho :/
username5821865
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, they boosted up the entry requirements, if you can apply to a better place, please do so. I think Manchester is trying to take a King's College London type of approach.
Htx_x346
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I've applied there because it's one of the best unis for my subject. But their requirements are even higher than Oxford and Imperial 😬
Anonymous #1
(Original post by awc14)
yep, I’ve applied for compsci at uom which has gone up to A*A*A* . probably all because of grade inflation.
THREE A*s is RIDICULOUS brooo i was complaining about a*aa rip u homie
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Throwaway48)
Yeah, they boosted up the entry requirements, if you can apply to a better place, please do so. I think Manchester is trying to take a King's College London type of approach.
I thought UOM was pretty high, particularly internationally (and especially for Law). Would you suggest otherwise?
username5821865
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I thought UOM was pretty high, particularly internationally (and especially for Law). Would you suggest otherwise?
Rankings are not an accurate measure of how good a university will be; rankings, and especially international ones, are prone to bias and the methodology differs greatly which results in inconsistencies. If Manchester is asking you for A*AA, why not apply to UCL, Warwick etc.? The universities are much better for prospects and networks whilst asking for the same grades as Manchester.
Anonymous #1
Rankings are not an accurate measure of how good a university will be; rankings, and especially international ones, are prone to bias and the methodology differs greatly which results in inconsistencies. If Manchester is asking you for A*AA, why not apply to UCL, Warwick etc.? The universities are much better for prospects and networks whilst asking for the same grades as Manchester.
I have applied to Warwick, it is AAA. UCL Require LNAT for law and I’m not sure if I want to sit that.
username5821865
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have applied to Warwick, it is AAA. UCL Require LNAT for law and I’m not sure if I want to sit that.
Even better! However, by not sitting the LNAT, your options will be limited; you have to evaluate whether the universities are worth sitting the LNAT for.
rosy_posy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Does that mean that they are both asking for grades that are too high, given their reputation?
username5821865
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rosy_posy)
Does that mean that they are both asking for grades that are too high, given their reputation?
Yes. Although King's is good at some courses, like medicine, it usually offers higher grades than UCL and LSE despite it not being to that standard.
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes. Although King's is good at some courses, like medicine, it usually offers higher grades than UCL and LSE despite it not being to that standard.
I'm guessing that part of the reason they're doing that is to attract high-level applicants who are given the impression that it is a top university, when it isn't quite.
username5821865
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm guessing that part of the reason they're doing that is to attract high-level applicants who are given the impression that it is a top university, when it isn't quite.
Exactly.
Anonymous #1
In terms of getting into the magic circle, Manchester ranked as 6th out of 83 UK universities. I would say it is really good, but perhaps the 5 ahead of it would be better? I’m not sure.

In terms of prestige/network would you say Manchester isn’t?
Anonymous #1
What do you mean by “their reputation”
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In terms of getting into the magic circle, Manchester ranked as 6th out of 83 UK universities. I would say it is really good, but perhaps the 5 ahead of it would be better? I’m not sure.

In terms of prestige/network would you say Manchester isn’t?
If it's ranked sixth, that would mean that the 5 above it are better for students aspiring to work for a Magic Circle firm. It shows those universities have good reputations with law firms.
I wouldn't say UoM is that prestigious, but all universities are good for networking.
What do you mean by “their reputation”
Their reputation is how people view the university.
This includes student stereotypes (which generally hold true) ie Durham students being upper class, Loughborough students being really athletic, etc.
It also depends on how easy or difficult it is to get in - Oxford/Cambridge/LSE/Imperial are notably more prestigious than other universities because of their high admission standards.
Manchester and King's are not that competitive to get into compared to the above, so what Throwaway48 and I were saying about the grade requirements for those unis is that they are too high, given their mid-high level of reputation.
santi04
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by awc14)
what the ****, since when is manchester prestigious enough for A*A*A*
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by santi04)
what the ****, since when is manchester prestigious enough for A*A*A*
Exactly, it really isn't.
I've just had a look at CompSci requirements, and Cambridge and Imperial both ask for A*A*A. Who knows what made Manchester think they are above that 🙄
santi04
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Exactly, it really isn't.
I've just had a look at CompSci requirements, and Cambridge and Imperial both ask for A*A*A. Who knows what made Manchester think they are above that 🙄
i know it seems completely absurd. I want to do maths at uom which is A*AA but I had no idea compsci wanted A*A*A*. I genuinely dont understand why wtfff
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (14)
10.37%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (3)
2.22%
Finding the time to revise (9)
6.67%
Finding the motivation (40)
29.63%
Getting distracted (17)
12.59%
Procrastination (51)
37.78%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.74%

Watched Threads