gogman12345
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
X=3Ω , Y=6Ω, Z=18Ω and the battery has e.m.f 12V, and it says total resistance of circuit is 6Ω - i did 12/6 to work out the current in the battery using I=V/R , but i'm now stuck on the question which is calculate the current in Z and also the current in X. It then says work out the p.d across X I have attached the image of the circuit below.
Name:  Captuuygre.PNG
Views: 14
Size:  12.4 KB
Last edited by gogman12345; 1 month ago
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gogman12345)
X=3Ω , Y=6Ω, Z=18Ω and the battery has e.m.f 12V, and it says total resistance of circuit is 6Ω - i did 12/6 to work out the current in the battery using I=V/R , but i'm now stuck on the question which is calculate the current in Z and also the current in X. It then says work out the p.d across X I have attached the image of the circuit below.
Name:  Captuuygre.PNG
Views: 14
Size:  12.4 KB
Do you know what the p.d. across Z is? If so, and since you know its resistance, you should be able to work out the current in it.

You've already said that you've worked out the current in the circuit before it splits across the two branches, so if you now also know the current in Z, you should be able to find the current in the other branch.

Finally, knowing the current in X and its resistance, finding the p.d. across it should be easy.
gogman12345
Rep:
(Original post by Pangol)
Do you know what the p.d. across Z is? If so, and since you know its resistance, you should be able to work out the current in it.

You've already said that you've worked out the current in the circuit before it splits across the two branches, so if you now also know the current in Z, you should be able to find the current in the other branch.

Finally, knowing the current in X and its resistance, finding the p.d. across it should be easy.
Is there a way to work out what the p.d across Z is with the information i gave?
Pangol
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Is there a way to work out what the p.d across Z is with the information i gave?
Do you know Kirchhoff's second law? If so, apply it to the loop including the battery and Z.
gogman12345
Rep:
Do you know Kirchhoff's second law? If so, apply it to the loop including the battery and Z.
sorry to bother you again here is a photo of the questions - for 2bi i got 9 for ci i got 2 but im stuck on the rest of the questions. I sort of understand kirchoffs second law but don't know how to apply it Name:  Capturehxdc.PNG
Views: 9
Size:  24.3 KB
Pangol
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
sorry to bother you again here is a photo of the questions - for 2bi i got 9 for ci i got 2 but im stuck on the rest of the questions. I sort of understand kirchoffs second law but don't know how to apply it Name:  Capturehxdc.PNG
Views: 9
Size:  24.3 KB
Kirchhoff's second law says that in a closed loop in a circuit, the sum of the e.m.f.s is equal to the sum of the p.d.s. This is a statement of the conservation of energy - it is saying that the total energy into the loop (per unit charge) is equal to the total energy out of the loop (per unit charge).

Follow the loop that starts from one side of the battery, goes through Z, and back to the battery. There is only one e.m.f., that due to the battery. There is only on p.d., that across Z. So what is the p.d. across Z?
gogman12345
Rep:
Kirchhoff's second law says that in a closed loop in a circuit, the sum of the e.m.f.s is equal to the sum of the p.d.s. This is a statement of the conservation of energy - it is saying that the total energy into the loop (per unit charge) is equal to the total energy out of the loop (per unit charge).

Follow the loop that starts from one side of the battery, goes through Z, and back to the battery. There is only one e.m.f., that due to the battery. There is only on p.d., that across Z. So what is the p.d. across Z?
the overall e.m.f is 12v so would the p.d be 12 meaning that cii= 12/18= 0.6reccuring and then ciii 12/9 = 1.3reccuring and 1.3r+0.6r = 2
Pangol
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
the overall e.m.f is 12v so would the p.d be 12 meaning that cii= 12/18= 0.6reccuring and then ciii 12/9 = 1.3reccuring and 1.3r+0.6r = 2
Not sure what you mean by the last part, but that looks OK. Don't give recurring answers, you need to give final answers to an appropriate number of significant figures.
gogman12345
Rep:
Not sure what you mean by the last part, but that looks OK. Don't give recurring answers, you need to give final answers to an appropriate number of significant figures.
ok thanks for all the help in the last part i meant that both currents added up to the current of the battery
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (14)
11.02%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (2)
1.57%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.3%
Finding the motivation (35)
27.56%
Getting distracted (17)
13.39%
Procrastination (50)
39.37%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed