Esme9812
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm thinking about applying for the Nuffield Research Placement (ideally to do with biology) and I had a few questions about it:
How competitive is it?
How useful is it for getting into university?
Does it provide you with useful skills that employers or universities like?
What should I include in my personal statement for the NRP?

Thank you in advance.
mgcgian047
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Just found out, its too early, 196 days to be exact, but currently I'm going to write my ps or, well, atleasg try to find out how to via YouTube videos.
asclepeion
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Esme9812)
I'm thinking about applying for the Nuffield Research Placement (ideally to do with biology) and I had a few questions about it:
How competitive is it?
How useful is it for getting into university?
Does it provide you with useful skills that employers or universities like?
What should I include in my personal statement for the NRP?

Thank you in advance.
When I did it a good 5+ years ago, it was very competitive
It was a big part of my personal statement and it’s probably the reason I managed to get subsequent lab work experience because before entering university, the NRP gave me a lot of experience with experimental techniques, write up, presentation etc
It’s useful to talk about for uni interviews (I didn’t have any when I applied) and can lead to things such as Gold CREST award.
I’m not sure whether they’ll go through with physical placements for 2022 cohort though but even a dry lab project that you can do from home would be beneficial
https://www.stem.org.uk/sites/defaul...ants.pdf#page6
Esme9812
Rep:
(Original post by mgcgian047)
Just found out, its too early, 196 days to be exact, but currently I'm going to write my ps or, well, atleasg try to find out how to via YouTube videos.
could you send me some links please for how to write the ps because I'm struggling.
Esme9812
Rep:
(Original post by asclepeion)
When I did it a good 5+ years ago, it was very competitive
It was a big part of my personal statement and it’s probably the reason I managed to get subsequent lab work experience because before entering university, the NRP gave me a lot of experience with experimental techniques, write up, presentation etc
It’s useful to talk about for uni interviews (I didn’t have any when I applied) and can lead to things such as Gold CREST award.
I’m not sure whether they’ll go through with physical placements for 2022 cohort though but even a dry lab project that you can do from home would be beneficial
https://www.stem.org.uk/sites/defaul...ants.pdf#page6
do you still have your personal statement that you wrote for the nuffield thing? I'm struggling to start it and finding out how to write it, so any ideas would be useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (17)
8.9%
Okay (57)
29.84%
A bit lacking (67)
35.08%
Not good at all (50)
26.18%

Watched Threads