missing a compulsory lab due to isolation

Watch
Articultr
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i'm a 2nd year biomed student and tomorrow morning i have a lab for one of my modules which we get marked on and have been told multiple times its compulsory and if we don't scan our campus cards there then we won't get a mark. I had to drive home on Saturday as i woke up with flu symptoms and one of my housemates is extremely vulnerable so my parents said to come home (it's about an hour away). since being home I've gotten incredibly ill and today went for a PCR test which they said can take 1-3 days to receive results and i need to isolate whilst i wait.

I emailed my lecturer that runs the lab but as its a Sunday he probably won't read it before tomorrows lab. Can they actually give me a 0 for not turning up? He sounded very strict in the emails that we needed to turn up and that this was the only session that would be on but surely if I'm having to isolate and wait for my PCR test it's not my fault and there's not much I can do?
Alfie G
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Dl
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Articultr)
i'm a 2nd year biomed student and tomorrow morning i have a lab for one of my modules which we get marked on and have been told multiple times its compulsory and if we don't scan our campus cards there then we won't get a mark. I had to drive home on Saturday as i woke up with flu symptoms and one of my housemates is extremely vulnerable so my parents said to come home (it's about an hour away). since being home I've gotten incredibly ill and today went for a PCR test which they said can take 1-3 days to receive results and i need to isolate whilst i wait.

I emailed my lecturer that runs the lab but as its a Sunday he probably won't read it before tomorrows lab. Can they actually give me a 0 for not turning up? He sounded very strict in the emails that we needed to turn up and that this was the only session that would be on but surely if I'm having to isolate and wait for my PCR test it's not my fault and there's not much I can do?
If you can show reason why you need to self isolate then I am sure everything is going to be fine. The university should have plans in place to cover this kind of thing, it’s entirely predictable that some students will have covid / visa / self isolating issues with attendance this term. They may have a "remote learning" package replacement or ask you to do the lab at a later date. My institution has pallets of mail out experiments and emailable numerical work for exactly this eventuality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (12)
10.08%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
0.84%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.72%
Finding the motivation (32)
26.89%
Getting distracted (16)
13.45%
Procrastination (49)
41.18%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.84%

Watched Threads