physics circuit question calculating current and p.d for resistors

Watch
gogman12345
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Name:  Caaaaaaaaspture.PNG
Views: 15
Size:  13.7 KBphoto attatched - i worked out the 18Ω one to be 12V and 0.6 amps is this right? and also how do i work out the other 2 and how the voltage splits
Last edited by gogman12345; 1 month ago
Dominininc
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The 18 ohm resistor will not have a pd of 12v. But the current will be .6 at this resistor.
You have correctly calculated the current at the 18 ohm resistor of 0.6 amps, i assume by using 1/r+1/r=1/R to calculate the total resistance of the resitors in parralel then added the 18 ohms the ohms law to get current.

Using .6 as the current use ohms law to get the pd of this resistor.
The rest of the pd is distributed into the reisotors in parrallel. They both have the same potential difference and their currents will add to .6. Rember for circuits in parralell the pd is the same on each stem and the sum of the current in each stem adds to the current at the terminal.
gogman12345
Rep:
(Original post by Dominininc)
The 18 ohm resistor will not have a pd of 12v. But the current will be .6 at this resistor.
You have correctly calculated the current at the 18 ohm resistor of 0.6 amps, i assume by using 1/r+1/r=1/R to calculate the total resistance of the resitors in parralel then added the 18 ohms the ohms law to get current.

Using .6 as the current use ohms law to get the pd of this resistor.
The rest of the pd is distributed into the reisotors in parrallel. They both have the same potential difference and their currents will add to .6. Rember for circuits in parralell the pd is the same on each stem and the sum of the current in each stem adds to the current at the terminal.
thanks alot
gogman12345
Rep:
what did you work out the 3Ω and 6Ω current and p.ds so i can check my answer
Dominininc
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gogman12345)
what did you work out the 3Ω and 6Ω current and p.ds so i can check my answer
Because the pd is the same in each (12-10.8=1.2V) Ohms law so for the 3 ohm it will be .4 and the 6 will be .2 amps
gogman12345
Rep:
(Original post by Dominininc)
Because the pd is the same in each (12-10.8=1.2V) Ohms law so for the 3 ohm it will be .4 and the 6 will be .2 amps
ok thanks alot have a nice day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (14)
9.93%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (3)
2.13%
Finding the time to revise (9)
6.38%
Finding the motivation (42)
29.79%
Getting distracted (19)
13.48%
Procrastination (53)
37.59%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed