mhz12345
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For anyone’s thats planning to do midwifery for uni..what A levels have you guys picked??
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mhz12345)
For anyone’s thats planning to do midwifery for uni..what A levels have you guys picked??
Maths, English & a science subject ( biology is usually required for midwifing ) are 3 essential ones you'll need.

Look at university course entry requirements for your potential chosen universities for this information and work on it ok.

Every university has differs requirements for this course.
Below are minimum ok.

Name:  Screenshot_2020-09-19-14-54-51.png
Views: 39
Size:  216.3 KB
Last edited by Tracey_W; 1 month ago
mhz12345
Rep:
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Maths, English & a science subject ( biology is usually required for midwifing ) are 3 essential ones you'll need.

Look at university course entry requirements for your potential chosen universities for this information and work on it ok.

Below are minimum ok.

Maths English and a science for A level?
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mhz12345)
Maths English and a science for A level?
If possible yes A-levels okay as give you better chance over GCSE's but check the entry requirements for the universities you are thinking in eventually applying to.
Fortysomething
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don’t think you need English or maths at A level for midwifery . A science a level will be essential for a lot of courses though and they can be choosy as so many applicants
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fortysomething)
I don’t think you need English or maths at A level for midwifery . A science a level will be essential for a lot of courses though and they can be choosy as so many applicants
Although A-levels not necessary it would be more useful to have these especially midwifery being so highly competertive. All universities set out there own entry requirements for this course so would be best if anyone applying for midwifery to check what there chosen universities entry requirements are before applying.
Majority of universities insists biology as preferred science subject but you'll get some asking for any science subject.

Minimum requirements are posted in earlier post #2.

The entry criteria for midwifery courses and programmes are quite specific. Almost all universities will require a qualification in biology (or at least another science), to show your scientific ability. To show your compassion and understanding, qualifications in psychology or sociology, for example, would help.
Jclw134
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tracey_W)

Below are minimum ok.

I would agree with Fortysomething and say you don't need English, Maths and a Science at A-Level. I work in maternity and am applying to Midwifery myself, and so have asked a lot of the Midwives about their experiences - some have done degrees prior to applying to Midwifery (the ones I have spoken to had done Biomedical Science, English Literature and French and Spanish), others have done the access course, and others had done A Levels. The ones that did A Levels did tell me that most universities do prefer having at least one science (and some do explicitly say so), but apart from that, you can do whatever you want. Although I obviously am not on a midwifery course/ midwife, my personal advice to you would be to simply do the subjects you enjoy the most in order to get the best grades you can which will make you a more competitive applicant!! Plus, I think you can apply any subject to Midwifery - for example, if you wanted to do French as an A Level, you could then say in your personal statement that you chose a foreign language because you understand that communication is important in healthcare and want to be able to allow people the best access to healthcare possible by speaking their language etc!

I was also given the advice that experience is also important, and so if you can find any work experience or volunteering, this would make you more competitive.

But, if you are really worried about what A Levels to do, I would suggest getting in contact with the universities you are interested in and asking them what they would like to see.

Hope this helps!
mhz12345
Rep:
(Original post by Jclw134)
I would agree with Fortysomething and say you don't need English, Maths and a Science at A-Level. I work in maternity and am applying to Midwifery myself, and so have asked a lot of the Midwives about their experiences - some have done degrees prior to applying to Midwifery (the ones I have spoken to had done Biomedical Science, English Literature and French and Spanish), others have done the access course, and others had done A Levels. The ones that did A Levels did tell me that most universities do prefer having at least one science (and some do explicitly say so), but apart from that, you can do whatever you want. Although I obviously am not on a midwifery course/ midwife, my personal advice to you would be to simply do the subjects you enjoy the most in order to get the best grades you can which will make you a more competitive applicant!! Plus, I think you can apply any subject to Midwifery - for example, if you wanted to do French as an A Level, you could then say in your personal statement that you chose a foreign language because you understand that communication is important in healthcare and want to be able to allow people the best access to healthcare possible by speaking their language etc!

I was also given the advice that experience is also important, and so if you can find any work experience or volunteering, this would make you more competitive.

But, if you are really worried about what A Levels to do, I would suggest getting in contact with the universities you are interested in and asking them what they would like to see.

Hope this helps!
Thank you loads ❤️.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads