The Student Room Group

Comp Sci at Uni

I need two more unis to fill up my 5. I am applying for a degree in Comp Sci (AI). Which two unis are better for comp sci: Queen Mary, Southampton, Surrey or Royal Holloway.

Scroll to see replies

Obviously the two Rgs.
Probably Southampton and QMUL.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Aspstudent
Probably Southampton and QMUL.

Original post by Cuworldax
Obviously the two Rgs.

does russell group still matter these days? I've heard CS at surrey is booming at Surrey and the graduate prospects are amazing.
Original post by Fifty345
does russell group still matter these days? I've heard CS at surrey is booming at Surrey and the graduate prospects are amazing.

Russell Group certainly isn’t everything, Bath is pretty damn good for STEM courses.
What are your predcited grades? The usual recomendation is :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a vital subject
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade

And yes, RG means nothing important - there are many excellent CS departments at other Unis, and 'RG' doesnt guarentee you will like the course or enjoy being at that Uni

Obviously out of those options, QMUL and Southampton are the best.

Surrey?
I'm looking at doing Computer Science with AI at Uni next year and hadn't heard anything about Surrey even though I'm less than a 10 minute walk from the Campus. I guess I just hadn't even thought about it.
I need two more unis to fill up my 5. I am applying for a degree in Comp Sci (AI). Which two unis are better for comp sci: Queen Mary, Southampton, Surrey or Royal Holloway.

royal
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
What are your predcited grades? The usual recomendation is :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a vital subject
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade

And yes, RG means nothing important - there are many excellent CS departments at other Unis, and 'RG' doesnt guarentee you will like the course or enjoy being at that Uni

So I have completed by Maths already and got an A*. Predicted A*A in physics and FM.
Current choices:
Imperial A*A*A
Kings A*A*A
Bath A*AA
Southampton A*AA / Queen Mary ABB / Surrey BBB (two from these three)
Reply 10
Original post by Aspstudent
Russell Group certainly isn’t everything, Bath is pretty damn good for STEM courses.

I am defo applying top BATH
Reply 11
choose russlee group universities, I every time look at job descriptions %50 percent jobs require russell group universities.
Original post by cvgk
choose russlee group universities, I every time look at job descriptions %50 percent jobs require russell group universities.

Do you have a reputable source for this claim?
Reply 13

What about applying to imperial, ucl kings, bath and surrey?
So I have completed by Maths already and got an A*. Predicted A*A in physics and FM.
Current choices:
Imperial A*A*A
Kings A*A*A
Bath A*AA
Southampton A*AA / Queen Mary ABB / Surrey BBB (two from these three)

Those look like very good choices - just remember that any Uni asking for A* will be very competitive and dropping S'ton and having both Surrey and QMUL might be worthwhile.
Original post by cvgk
%50 percent jobs require russell group universities.

This daft claim.
Reply 16

type google cw jobs, look at java developers, c++ developer ,javascript developer jobs and you can look at also digitech resourcing,anson mccade,mcgregor boyall,isl,oxford knight ,oliver bernard,client server, understanding, playtech, hunter bond, tek systems recruiters as well.
Original post by cvgk
type google cw jobs, look at java developers, c++ developer ,javascript developer jobs and you can look at also digitech resourcing,anson mccade,mcgregor boyall,isl,oxford knight ,oliver bernard,client server, understanding, playtech, hunter bond, tek systems recruiters as well.

And they all say 'applicants must have gone to a Russell Group Uni' do they?
Reply 18
Ok, please I need some advice:

I'm defo going to apply to:

Imperial A*A*A
Kings A*A*A
Bath A*AA
Surrey - BBB

What do you recommend to be my fifth? Do I add UCL: A*A*A, QML: AAB-ABB, Southampton: A*AA?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
And they all say 'applicants must have gone to a Russell Group Uni' do they?

I applied many jobs and they are exactly looking oxbridge graduates if they can not find oxbridge graduates they are looking russell group universities.There are a lot of recruiters some recruiters don't look at russell group universities for example computer futures,arrow group etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending