sunny225
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So i am looking to study biochemistry next year and have visited both lancaster and york. The lancaster campus was significantly nicer than york, as was the accommodation (it was also cheaper), but the city of york is nearer, bigger and much nicer. Obviously ik both factors are important but am just wondering what others think makes more of a difference in terms of enjoyment/making the most of my time at uni. Also if you know anything about either lancaster or york which do you prefer?
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunny225)
So i am looking to study biochemistry next year and have visited both lancaster and york. The lancaster campus was significantly nicer than york, as was the accommodation (it was also cheaper), but the city of york is nearer, bigger and much nicer. Obviously ik both factors are important but am just wondering what others think makes more of a difference in terms of enjoyment/making the most of my time at uni. Also if you know anything about either lancaster or york which do you prefer?
I’d go for the campus.
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The course.
It doesnt matter how nice the campus, city or anything else is, if you dont like the course, its going to be a very long three years.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I'm a current student at Lancaster so I could give you some insight into Lancaster itself and hopefully an ambassador from York can also give their opinion here too!

Did you manage to look at the city of Lancaster whilst you were here? It's probably where you'd end up living after your first year and personally, I really like the city. It is quite a small city and definitely smaller than York, but I find it rather vibrant and there's plenty of restaurants, pubs, and lots of events going on in the year. I also think that Lancaster has started to get some really great independent shops that add to Lancaster's character. Lancaster Uni's campus is also great and it's always busy, particularly because of societies, and this sounds a little cliché, but it's true: there's a really nice sense of community on the campus and even in town and there's always somewhere nice, or ecxiting, to hang out with your mates. In September there's the Highest Point Festival that's getting bigger every year in Williamson Park.
If you ever want to get out of Lancaster, we're obviously very close to the Lake District and by train, we're an hour from Manchester, an hour and a half from Liverpool, 20 minutes from Preston and 2 hours from Edinburgh and Glasgow.

If you're really wavering between the two, it might be worth seeing if you can visit them both again, (perhaps on applicant visit days?) and spending some time in the cities, not just the campus to get a better feel for them both before you make your decision!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

- Daisy (Final year Spanish and Theatre student)
retroluvr
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Personally I'd say the city, because I'd rather have a slightly worse room in York if it means I have more motivation to go out, more places to see, better nightlife and more means to enjoy myself than having a slightly nicer dorm (which you don't spend a great amount of time in in the greater scale of things) and a worse city and overall experience in.
sunny225
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
The course.
It doesnt matter how nice the campus, city or anything else is, if you dont like the course, its going to be a very long three years.
I like the course equally on both of them hence why it is not the deciding factor
sunny225
Rep:
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello, I'm a current student at Lancaster so I could give you some insight into Lancaster itself and hopefully an ambassador from York can also give their opinion here too!

Did you manage to look at the city of Lancaster whilst you were here? It's probably where you'd end up living after your first year and personally, I really like the city. It is quite a small city and definitely smaller than York, but I find it rather vibrant and there's plenty of restaurants, pubs, and lots of events going on in the year. I also think that Lancaster has started to get some really great independent shops that add to Lancaster's character. Lancaster Uni's campus is also great and it's always busy, particularly because of societies, and this sounds a little cliché, but it's true: there's a really nice sense of community on the campus and even in town and there's always somewhere nice, or ecxiting, to hang out with your mates. In September there's the Highest Point Festival that's getting bigger every year in Williamson Park.
If you ever want to get out of Lancaster, we're obviously very close to the Lake District and by train, we're an hour from Manchester, an hour and a half from Liverpool, 20 minutes from Preston and 2 hours from Edinburgh and Glasgow.

If you're really wavering between the two, it might be worth seeing if you can visit them both again, (perhaps on applicant visit days?) and spending some time in the cities, not just the campus to get a better feel for them both before you make your decision!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

- Daisy (Final year Spanish and Theatre student)
Thanks for the reply! - just wondering, do many students ever go to the lake district or the nearby cities quite often?
Fruity Girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Looked at both and thought both were great so 17 yr old got both on ucas but you don’t need to decide until after applicant days - so why not put both down
Fruity Girl
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Btw they are both campus unis - I’d say York is the larger city so maybe more vibrant but older son has been out in Lancaster when visiting friends and said it was a great night out - Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham are party places for students if you like to party plus Newcastle
Last edited by Fruity Girl; 1 month ago
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This depends. Do you think you will be spending a lot of time on campus every day? (Some courses you can actually avoid spending a lot of time on campus). Do you think you'd actually want to spend time in the city much as well (as in nightlife, shopping etc?)
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
At York you can walk from campus to city and vice versa. Can you do so at Lancaster?
Lancaster University
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply! - just wondering, do many students ever go to the lake district or the nearby cities quite often?
Hi,

I'm currently in my 4th year at Lancaster. The city itself is not very big, which in some ways is nice as it means you can walk everywhere you need to. Also, in terms of the distance to campus, it can be walked in 30mins-1.25hours depending on where in the city you live. Lots of students explore the surrounding area. I have been to the lake district multiple times. It is also very well situated for exploring further afield. It is easy and quick to get to Scotland, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, etc. and so I always feel that no matter what me and my friends want to do, we can do almost anything on a day out and this means that if there is something, I want to do that's not in Lancaster, I will just go and do it somewhere nearby.
I Hope this helps.

Samuel
4th Year Mechanical Engineering
sunny225
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
At York you can walk from campus to city and vice versa. Can you do so at Lancaster?
No the lancaster campus is further from the city
sunny225
Rep:
(Original post by Lancaster University)
Hi,

I'm currently in my 4th year at Lancaster. The city itself is not very big, which in some ways is nice as it means you can walk everywhere you need to. Also, in terms of the distance to campus, it can be walked in 30mins-1.25hours depending on where in the city you live. Lots of students explore the surrounding area. I have been to the lake district multiple times. It is also very well situated for exploring further afield. It is easy and quick to get to Scotland, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, etc. and so I always feel that no matter what me and my friends want to do, we can do almost anything on a day out and this means that if there is something, I want to do that's not in Lancaster, I will just go and do it somewhere nearby.
I Hope this helps.

Samuel
4th Year Mechanical Engineering
That's good to know thank you!
sunny225
Rep:
(Original post by QuentinM)
This depends. Do you think you will be spending a lot of time on campus every day? (Some courses you can actually avoid spending a lot of time on campus). Do you think you'd actually want to spend time in the city much as well (as in nightlife, shopping etc?)
Tbh im beginning to lean more towards york just because I loved the city so much when I went and it would be nice to be able to spend free time there/live there after the first year
sunny225
Rep:
(Original post by retroluvr)
Personally I'd say the city, because I'd rather have a slightly worse room in York if it means I have more motivation to go out, more places to see, better nightlife and more means to enjoy myself than having a slightly nicer dorm (which you don't spend a great amount of time in in the greater scale of things) and a worse city and overall experience in.
Yeah that's a good point thank you
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No the lancaster campus is further from the city
Exactly! 😁
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My eldest was in a similar predicament a couple of years ago with both unis. She choose Lancaster on a few factors

The courses were similar so that did not come into play much.
The Library at Lancaster is much bigger
The Sports Centre looked really good, and the fact you can just take a walk away from campus, be it Galgate, the woodland walk round campus (2 mile walk), the canal path to the city (you can walk it in an hour), or walking past lake Carter. So its a great de-stresser if you want to get away from your room.
The accommodation is nicer and cheaper than York. York's accommodation would take all of her student finance maintenance up and then some. There was just 3-4 that were in range, but she had to choose 7 types of accommodation and some were out of her price range, where Lancaster you choose 2.
City is not as big as Yorks, but that's ok, its still got a couple of clubs and copious amount of bars. Plus a bus to Morecambe for that sea side break, as well as a bus that leaves the city for the Lakes. She liked that there was various student areas for second year to choose from (Bulk/Bowerham/Castle/Scotforth/ Lancaster east/Canal side)
Lancaster uni has a lot more eateries.
It has a bar at every college.
Its about 15 mins on bus to the city and she was used to catching a bus to sixth form which took the same time.

The thing that York had going for it was its closeness to the city, and it is a lot bigger. And the bus between Hes east and west is free. And the fact it had the astrocampus.
She loved Hes East and Goodricke/Langwith.
The A64 has links to Scarborough and also Leeds.
Theres a gorgeous park on the north of the city. If you get chance to go there, its great.
Golden Fleece in York, well worth the food as well
Got a great Christmas market.
Last edited by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.93%
Okay (65)
29.02%
A bit lacking (84)
37.5%
Not good at all (55)
24.55%

Watched Threads