Is anyone good at maths/physics - would I be able to see this from my house?

Watch
Redfrost
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok so there’s a phone mast going up near my house (I already have one but that’s a another topic).

Looking at the pic you can see a line going from a house to a bush. The distance between the two is 105 metres approx. The tallest tree among those is 15 metres in height and this is located at the bush end.

I’d say the trees at the side of the house are between 8 - 10 metres

There is a phone mast going up where the bush is which is 20 metres in height. All the ground is level.

The house is a typical 2 story so say 5-6 metres from floor to roof

Will I be able to see the top of it from the house?
Attached files
Last edited by Redfrost; 1 month ago
santi04
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Redfrost)
Ok so there’s a phone mast going up near my house (I already have one but that’s a another topic).

Looking at the pic you can see a line going from a house to a bush. The distance between the two is 105 metres approx. The tallest tree among those is 15 metres in height.

There is a phone mast going up where the bush is which is 20 metres in height. All the ground is level. Will I be able to see the top of it from the house?
why one earth are you asking this lmao
Medfully
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Looking at the pic you can see a line going from a house to a bush. The distance between the two is 105 metres approx. The tallest tree among those is 15 metres in height.

There is a phone mast going up where the bush is which is 20 metres in height. All the ground is level. Will I be able to see the top of it from the house?
It depends how tall your house is and what's the distance between the mast and the highest tree
Last edited by Medfully; 1 month ago
santi04
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

nowhere near enough information to provide an answer unfortunately
Dominininc
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4pxw4tYeCU&t=593s

If youre concerned about the 5g melting your brain watch this
Redfrost
Rep:
(Original post by Medfully)
It depends how tall your house is and what's the distance between the mast and the highest tree
Sorry, I was going to include this but didn’t want to confuse lol. The highest tree is several metres behind the mast. I’d say the front trees near the house are approx 8 - 10 metres
GabiAbi84
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Can you see the trees over there? If so then yes, you’ll be able to see the mast.

Not that you will really notice it after a couple days anyways
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 month ago
Redfrost
Rep:
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Can you see the trees over there? If so then yes, you’ll be able to see the mast.

Not that you will really notice it after a couple days anyways
No I can only see the line of trees nearest my house
Dominininc
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Okay so i have calculated the definitive answer.

So far no one has accounted for the curvature of the earth in their calculations.

Using an approximation of d²/2r (as pythagorean relation (r² + d²)^.5 as d approaches zero is r + d²/2), and the earths diameter of 12742km. 104^2/12742000= .000848m so the the telephone mast will actually be .8mm lower than the observer.

If we assume the trees are 50 m from the house and the observer is at 5m, by creating some triangles the trees will therefore obsurce 15m of the mast.

Therefore you will still see the mast but if the bottom half is obscured by the trees and the earths curvature is accounted for you will only to put up with 4.9992 meters of it.
Last edited by Dominininc; 1 month ago
Redfrost
Rep:
(Original post by Dominininc)
Okay so i have calculated the definitive answer.

So far no one has accounted for the curvature of the earth in their calculations.

Using an approximation of d²/2r (as pythagorean relation (r² + d²)^.5 as d approaches zero is r + d²/2), and the earths diameter of 12742km. 104^2/12742000= .000848m so the the telephone mast will actually be .8mm lower than the observer.

If we assume the trees are 50 m from the house and the observer is at 5m, by creating some triangles the trees will therefore obsurce 15m of the mast.

Therefore you will still see the mast but if the bottom half is obscured by the trees and the earths curvature is accounted for you will only to put up with 4.9992 meters of it.
Awesome, thanks. Is this serious as it looks really advanced and I know nothing about maths/physics : D

So I’ll see a quarter of the mast, even though the trees near me are about 8 metres and I can’t see the ones behind it.. I guess it makes sense. Thanks for this!

Ive just measured the distance from the house to the first line of trees and it’s 28 metres unsteady of 50, if this affects anything much
Last edited by Redfrost; 1 month ago
Dominininc
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Awesome, thanks. Is this serious as it looks really advanced and I know nothing about maths/physics : D

So I’ll see a quarter of the mast, even though the trees near me are about 8 metres and I can’t see the ones behind it.. I guess it makes sense. Thanks for this!

Ive just measured the distance from the house to the first line of trees and it’s 28 metres unsteady of 50, if this affects anything much
That does change it, you wont be able to see the the mast if you are below 4 meters. However above 4m you will see it.

It is not very difficult to calculate i was just being pedantic about the curvature.

All you have to do is draw a straight line of 10.4cm and position a 2cm line vertical at one end and a .8cm line 2.8 cm from the other end. Then draw the obervers height at the opposite end to the pole and then draw a line from the observer to the top of the tree. Sort of like what i made here
]
]
[_______ ]
[________[_____________________]
Last edited by Dominininc; 1 month ago
Redfrost
Rep:
(Original post by Dominininc)
That does change it, you wont be able to see the the mast if you are below 4 meters. However above 4m you will see it.

It is not very difficult to calculate i was just being pedantic about the curvature.

All you have to do is draw a straight line of 10.4cm and position a 2cm line vertical at one end and a .8cm line 2.8 cm from the other end. Then draw the obervers height at the opposite end to the pole and then draw a line from the observer to the top of the tree. Sort of like what i made here
]
]
[_______ ]
[________[_____________________]
Ok thanks I’l give it a go, so basically if I’m viewing from less than 4 metres in height, whether it be the downstairs or upstairs window I shouldn’t be able to see it. I think my house is about 6 metres roof included so I might not be seeing it.

I watched that you tube vid thanks. It does help to clear the worries up. It’s just I already have a mast and a trifield metres which picks up something like 2.500 milli watts of RF at the back window, pretty much constantly. I was concerned about this as the meters manual stated that safe exposure should be below 0.200 milliwatts

This new mast is going to be even closer and will expose the front windows to RF. I was kind of hoping for at least one low RF room but doesn’t look like I’m going to get it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
9.01%
Okay (65)
29.28%
A bit lacking (83)
37.39%
Not good at all (54)
24.32%

Watched Threads