Should I take a level maths??

Watch this thread
_Robyn_
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm currently on grade 6 but many people have told me that I shouldn't take a level maths due to my grade. But I haven't really tried yet. I'm just doing the bare minimum that's required tbh. But I'm willing to put in the hard work for a levels. Will I still struggle no matter how much work I put in?
Dylan8421
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
Only pick it if you want to go onto something that requires it at degree level.
OJlongley
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Yeah, that attitude doesn't work. Take it from me, I have personal experience

I just floated through GCSE maths without putting in effort, because I told myself that GCSEs don't matter, and that I'd work hard at A level.
That won't happen with A level. If you don't put in the work at GCSE then you probably don't have the right mindset (like me). You get to A level and you either struggle because you're not used to putting in the work, or you struggle because the foundation skills needed for A level are weak.

If you aren't really trying at GCSE maths then ask yourself why.
If it's laziness then you need to remind yourself why you're doing the work. It's a downpayment for future you. You do the work now, and you have a strong start to A level maths. It sucks when your classmates understand a topic because they know it easily from GCSE, but you didn't put in the work.
If it's ability then you either need to work really hard or look elsewhere. Maths A level isn't forgiving, and it won't slow down so that you can get all of the topic slowly. There's a lot to do, and not a lot of time.
If it's because GCSEs don't matter, then you're kinda right. The GCSE qualifications don't matter, but the skills in GCSE maths carry heavily into A level maths.

So. Either put the work in now and get a strong GCSE grade, a good mindset, and a strong control over the core maths skills.
Or look for something else.
Out of my 3 subjects (maths, history, computer science) only maths depends heavily on GCSE foundation. The other two subjects started at a low level because the topics were different. But maths requires the same basic skills. Indicies, trigonometry, rearranging equations, quadratics etc. Just about everything GCSE, but harder
username5794123
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
I'm currently on grade 6 but many people have told me that I shouldn't take a level maths due to my grade. But I haven't really tried yet. I'm just doing the bare minimum that's required tbh. But I'm willing to put in the hard work for a levels. Will I still struggle no matter how much work I put in?
IMO, it’s not the fact that you’re working at a 6 that matters but rather your mindset towards work. I know how easy it is to say “yeah, I’ll just be lazy today and work my socks off tomorrow”, it just doesn’t work.

That last question of yours is a bit of an unconventional question. It depends on what work you put in and how long you’re willing to revise for - quality revision. If you’re working on a 6 without any practice or revision, that indicates some sort of natural talent. However, to get higher grades and to reflect an A-level work ethic, it’s crucial to spend time revising and I can assure you that nobody, ever, has got a 9 in maths without a single ounce of revision.

P.S - I’m not saying you should/shouldn’t take A-level maths; I’m merely highlighting the importance of putting in effort.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (37)
15.29%
The paper was reasonable (124)
51.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (59)
24.38%
It was TERRIBLE (22)
9.09%

Watched Threads