Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As you get older and go to uni, move out and get a job does life get easier or harder?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As you get older and go to uni, move out and get a job does life get easier or harder?
well i didn't bother getting work experience for my CV so my first year after uni was murderously hard.... however since then things have got easier and easier. i love the predictability of a job, but it is important that you enjoy what you're doing. and it does mean that life is a little more boring.

the only thing is now i'm 30 i'm already noticing my health is starting to decline, i now need glasses and have a couple of tiny niggles that i'm afraid will get worse over time, so there is that!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
No, things start to go downhill after you mid-twenties
Anonymous #1
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
well i didn't bother getting work experience for my CV so my first year after uni was murderously hard.... however since then things have got easier and easier. i love the predictability of a job, but it is important that you enjoy what you're doing. and it does mean that life is a little more boring.

the only thing is now i'm 30 i'm already noticing my health is starting to decline, i now need glasses and have a couple of tiny niggles that i'm afraid will get worse over time, so there is that!
Thanks for replying. I'll definitely think about work experience!
What do you do? If you don't mind me asking. Are you married with children?
VannR
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nothing gets any easier or harder depending on some kind of developmental stage of life. The time for going through things which "everyone goes through" is over and now life is about the choices you make, small and large, and to some extent, luck.

Your life will not get any easier unless you actively take steps to ensure that it is but rest assured that life can always be a hell of a lot harder than it is right now.

Welcome to Adulthood!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
No, things start to go downhill after you mid-twenties
How come? Surely you have more money and more freedom?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by VannR)
Nothing gets any easier or harder depending on some kind of developmental stage of life. The time for going through things which "everyone goes through" is over and now life is about the choices you make, small and large, and to some extent, luck.

Your life will not get any easier unless you actively take steps to ensure that it is but rest assured that life can always be a hell of a lot harder than it is right now.

Welcome to Adulthood!
I guess that's what I mean by easier, so much more freedom and no constraints about what I have to do. More money. More control over my own life.
black tea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How come? Surely you have more money and more freedom?
Ha, no. You have more responsibilities, get tired more easily and start having health issues.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Ha, no. You have more responsibilities, get tired more easily and start having health issues.
Well that doesn't sound great!! Thanks for your honesty though.
I'm hoping to not take on too much responsibility in my twenties, I want time for my social life and to do lots of travelling.
VannR
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I guess that's what I mean by easier, so much more freedom and no constraints about what I have to do. More money. More control over my own life.
Freedom means freedom to fail as much as it means freedom to succeed, and having control over your own life means little if you're really bad at making consistent choices that lead to long-term success.
black tea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Well that doesn't sound great!! Thanks for your honesty though.
I'm hoping to not take on too much responsibility in my twenties, I want time for my social life and to do lots of travelling.
That's fine, but bear in mind that you pals may not have the same priorities and may chose to start spending more time with their partners, have kids and work overtime so they can afford to support their families and pay their mortgage.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by VannR)
Freedom means freedom to fail as much as it means freedom to succeed, and having control over your own life means little if you're really bad at making consistent choices that lead to long-term success.
I would count being happy as long term success and to me that means freedom, travel, friends and enough money that I don't have to worry about it all the time. Easier said than done of course, I'm doing research to try and find a job where I can work remotely and only for a few hours a day and spend the rest of the time traveling. People keep telling me life gets harder when you get older, but it seems to be due to the choices that people have made. Surely you only have all those extra 'responsibilites' everyone goes on about of you choose to take them on!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It depends on your ambitions, habits, health, mindset and work ethic.
Of course, nobody has the perfect life and there are always bills & issues to resolve.
My life is much easier at 26 than it was in my early twenties or when I was living with parents.
Last edited by londonmyst; 1 month ago
Moonlight Rain
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Idk I think I'd be happier when I finish uni and get a job that I'm passionate about
black tea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Surely you only have all those extra 'responsibilites' everyone goes on about of you choose to take them on!
Yes, but when others around you are taking them on and you are not, you will soon find yourself feeling left out and no longer being able to connect with your peers in the same way.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Moonlight Rain)
Idk I think I'd be happier when I finish uni and get a job that I'm passionate about
Yeah that's my thoughts too. I can't wait to be out of the monotony of education!
Anonymous #1
Ah mate if that happens I'll just take them along with me wherever I travel to and we can be a hippy family.
VannR
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I would count being happy as long term success and to me that means freedom, travel, friends and enough money that I don't have to worry about it all the time. Easier said than done of course, I'm doing research to try and find a job where I can work remotely and only for a few hours a day and spend the rest of the time traveling. People keep telling me life gets harder when you get older, but it seems to be due to the choices that people have made. Surely you only have all those extra 'responsibilites' everyone goes on about of you choose to take them on!
Sure, if you don't take on extra "responsibilities" your life will be easier in the short term, but it also helps to recognise that many of these extra things people take on between 25-55 set them up for their later years e.g mortgages, families can help to support you and your wellbeing between 55 and the end of life. Old, single people with no families of their own and who are not wealthy do not tend to enjoy life very much.
Moonlight Rain
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah that's my thoughts too. I can't wait to be out of the monotony of education!
But bad things can happen whatever age you are so no one knows for sure if life would get easier for you
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Not really
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (16)
10.32%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (3)
1.94%
Finding the time to revise (10)
6.45%
Finding the motivation (44)
28.39%
Getting distracted (24)
15.48%
Procrastination (57)
36.77%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.65%

Watched Threads