The Student Room Group

Cheap car + car insurance?

I’ve just got my license last month, 20, and idk if I should get my own insurance or be named on my parents’ also they have their own car but I want to get one for me, idk if I should do it now or later on once I have more driving experience
Your insurance will be cheaper as 2nd driver or 3rd driver...and if you not already wait till your 21 and itll be even cheaper
Another thing is look at cars insurance groups i think the lower the number the cheaper the insurance
cars are allocated numeric insurance groups - based on value, performance, easy to steal, desireability, etc. Low number means lower insurance, high number means high insurance or maybe no one will insure you at all.

Just be aware that if it is your car and you are the main driver that to have your parents insure it with you as named driver only is called Fronting and is illegal.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/what-is-car-insurance-fronting/
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ReadingMum
cars are allocated numeric insurance groups - based on value, performance, easy to steal, desireability, etc. Low number means lower insurance, high number means high insurance or maybe no one will insure you at all.

Whilst this was the original design, it quite frankly isn't that simple any longer.
It depends on the car. It is not awful and gets you transport. It probably doesn't get you building up any no claims.

Quick Reply

Latest