I'm confused over "estranged student" definition

Watch
k00sovic
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
On the UCAS website, it says: "Estranged students are young people studying without the support and approval of their parents due to a breakdown in their relationship – this might be their biological, step or adoptive parents, and sometimes their wider family members."

I'm not sure what they mean by "breakdown in their relationship" and if I would count as an estranged student. Does breakdown imply having no contact with my parents after leaving them?

When I was 18, I ran away from my parents due to physical and emotional abuse. I lived in a homeless accommodation for over a year and now I live in a council flat. I live off of Universal Credit. My relationship with them improved, but they're not going to support me financially. Their income has nothing to do with my income, so I'm not sure what kind of student funding I should apply for. Right now I applied as Independent student but I also have a recent diagnosis of ADHD which involved my parents in the process (their names and answers are on the paper), and I have to send those documents to SAAS as I also applied for DSA, so I'm scared they will "catch me out" and tell me I'm not "estranged enough" because I talk to them sometimes. Also, I don't have any other family in this country; I'm a first generation immigrant.

I also used to have a social worker briefly around the age of 16-17, following my report of abuse...I wonder if that would count as being care experienced or have anything to do with that...

I'm asking mostly in terms of widening access but also student finance. Just really confused. They aren't being really helpful when I ask them.
Last edited by k00sovic; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by k00sovic)
On the UCAS website, it says: "Estranged students are young people studying without the support and approval of their parents due to a breakdown in their relationship – this might be their biological, step or adoptive parents, and sometimes their wider family members."

I'm not sure what they mean by "breakdown in their relationship" and if I would count as an estranged student. Does breakdown imply having no contact with my parents after leaving them?

When I was 18, I ran away from my parents due to physical and emotional abuse. I lived in a homeless accommodation for over a year and now I live in a council flat. I live off of Universal Credit. My relationship with them improved, but they're not going to support me financially. Their income has nothing to do with my income, so I'm not sure what kind of student funding I should apply for. Right now I applied as Independent student but I also have a recent diagnosis of ADHD which involved my parents in the process (their names and answers are on the paper), and I have to send those documents to SAAS as I also applied for DSA, so I'm scared they will "catch me out" and tell me I'm not "estranged enough" because I talk to them sometimes. Also, I don't have any other family in this country; I'm a first generation immigrant.

I also used to have a social worker briefly around the age of 16-17, following my report of abuse...I wonder if that would count as being care experienced or have anything to do with that...

I'm asking mostly in terms of widening access but also student finance. Just really confused. They aren't being really helpful when I ask them.
I would say you qualify as estranged but I don't work in student finance. If I were you, I would tick that box and no doubt they will give you paperwork to complete where you can explain your situation in depth.

Who is writing your reference? That person would normally explain your circumstances (at the time of your exams when they knew you) in the reference also. Normally it's your previous school/college who supply the reference.
Desideri
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
https://www.saas.gov.uk/guides/estranged-students

SAAS says that being estranged means not being in contact with your parents, usually for at least 12 months.

You say you left at 18, how old are you now? If you’ve supported yourself independently for 3 years, or you’re age 25+, you would be classified as an independent student.
k00sovic
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Desideri)
https://www.saas.gov.uk/guides/estranged-students

SAAS says that being estranged means not being in contact with your parents, usually for at least 12 months.

You say you left at 18, how old are you now? If you’ve supported yourself independently for 3 years, or you’re age 25+, you would be classified as an independent student.
Yeah, that's my problem, I have some contact with my parents and I haven't supported myself independently for 3 years- it's only been 2. Which means I don't neatly fall into neither of these two categories.
grey-giraffe
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by k00sovic)
Yeah, that's my problem, I have some contact with my parents and I haven't supported myself independently for 3 years- it's only been 2. Which means I don't neatly fall into neither of these two categories.
It's probably best to contact SFE directly if that's the case
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed