I have no motivation for life

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Disclaimer: I know I have to work. Please don’t tell me the blatantly obvious

I am a recent graduate, I have no motivation in life. I have no aspirations or career goals. I don’t want to work, I know I have to, but I don’t want to.

I don’t have a career I want to go into, I don’t really care about anything. I don’t really have anything that I look forward to in life other than getting off shift. (Currently working a crappy retail job.)

I don't want to end my life and I’m not depressed but if life just stopped, I wouldn’t be upset about it.

I don’t know what to do. I don’t have any purpose in life and everyday is the same, I don’t know if I’m just lazy or what.

Please help
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you weren't so academic maybe you would have got somewhere
This is so unnecessary?
First of all, academics does not prevent you from getting anywhere. Some of my closest graduate friends are doing exceedingly well.

Secondly this has nothing to do with the fact I chose an academic route. I’m clearly struggling with post University life and comments like yours are unhelpful and rude.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago

I am a recent graduate, I have no motivation in life. I have no aspirations or career goals. I don’t want to work, I know I have to, but I don’t want to.

I don’t have a career I want to go into, I don’t really care about anything. I don’t really have anything that I look forward to in life other than getting off shift. (Currently working a crappy retail job.)

I don't want to end my life and I’m not depressed but if life just stopped, I wouldn’t be upset about it.

I don’t know what to do. I don’t have any purpose in life and everyday is the same, I don’t know if I’m just lazy or what.

Please help
I mean it's not easy... but at least you have made the first step (i.e. you realise what's wrong) and the second step (i.e. asking for help).

But everything else after that, you'll have to do it yourself. No one can tell you what you should / want to do, because it's your life!

What don't you want to do / what can't you do? If you figured that out it'll be a good start.
Ash171
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago

Please help
Hi! I'm sorry you feel this way, I think you might just be burnt out by all the stresses of life. You'll get through this phase, don't worry. You should probably take some time off to redefine who you are and find your real interests. Try everything you can. Even if it's just a small thing such as reading 1 page a day that is still progress.

I hope you find your life purpose soon
Toffygirl83
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It sounds like you may well be depressed and need to see your GP. Go online and book an e-consult and they will get you despite all the current situation. There is help out there.
marlslibrary
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Knowing that were in a pandemic, its completely normal to feel this way. You are 10000% not lazy, i would suggest speaking to a GP about your feelings as they can help organise something to deal with financial problems, try not to focus on work seeming as your mental health is WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!! graduating from uni is a huge achievement so huge congrats! im interested to know what degree you have received. btw you could do so many things with a uni degree COMPLETELY different to the career its set for. i would strongly look more into it when your ready. everything will work out for you eventually, you will feel the worst rn but in a few months you wil be doing better than ever! (dont listen to idiot below, they have obviously not seen people struggling before)
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
This is so unnecessary?
First of all, academics does not prevent you from getting anywhere. Some of my closest graduate friends are doing exceedingly well.

Secondly this has nothing to do with the fact I chose an academic route. I’m clearly struggling with post University life and comments like yours are unhelpful and rude.
But while you were spending thousands on money on university fees, tuition, accommodation you could have got a job and been earning instead of spending. I know people have moved out when they were 18/19 and they got kicked out of school in year 10. I know people who go university but after accommodation instead of moving to their own home they go back to their parents and are still there until 30s. It's not rude, it's just truthful, being academic isn't really a good thing
Anonymous #1
But while you were spending thousands on money on university fees, tuition, accommodation you could have got a job and been earning instead of spending. I know people have moved out when they were 18/19 and they got kicked out of school in year 10. I know people who go university but after accommodation instead of moving to their own home they go back to their parents and are still there until 30s. It's not rude, it's just truthful, being academic isn't really a good thing
This has nothing to do with my original post. Kindly take your unhelpful commentary elsewhere.
w0rlds away
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So what determines your worth as a human being? We live in a capitalist society where you worth is determined by your looks, money, job, parents social rank etc. You need motivation.

"Stop being miserable, if you are not happy with something, change it."

"What is work? Work is struggle. There are difficulties and problems in those places for us to overcome and solve. We go there to work and struggle to overcome these difficulties. A good comrade is one who is more eager to go where the difficulties are greater."

"When there is not enough to eat, people starve to death. It is better to let half the people die so that others can eat their fill"

"People say that poverty is bad, but in fact poverty is good. The poorer people are, the more revolutionary they are. It is dreadful to imagine a time when everyone will be rich... From a surplus of calories people will have two heads and four legs."
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
:troll:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ash171)
Hi! I'm sorry you feel this way, I think you might just be burnt out by all the stresses of life. You'll get through this phase, don't worry. You should probably take some time off to redefine who you are and find your real interests. Try everything you can. Even if it's just a small thing such as reading 1 page a day that is still progress.

I hope you find your life purpose soon
Thank you so much for your kind words ❤️
Anonymous #5
Report 1 month ago
What did you study? I’m a postgrad who can’t find work now. Had some cool jobs in the past but applying for downgraded retail jobs now cause my depression can’t handle more than that. I feel terrible about it and hiding away not talking to anyone I know cause they judge me so much for it
Smeraldettoi
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Please help
I don’t know how old you are but sometimes you find out what you want to do later on in life. Other times you just make a decision and stick to it. It’s a rare person that is really genuinely passionate about their career. Most only are in it for the money
Anonymous #1
What did you study? I’m a postgrad who can’t find work now. Had some cool jobs in the past but applying for downgraded retail jobs now cause my depression can’t handle more than that. I feel terrible about it and hiding away not talking to anyone I know cause they judge me so much for it
I studied film production but it’s not something I’m interested in pursing career-wise
Anonymous #5
Report 1 month ago
I studied film production but it’s not something I’m interested in pursing career-wise
There are some cool roles in cinemas, theatres or art institutions around film programming, helping them to organise film festivals and things like that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.94%
Okay (104)
29.55%
A bit lacking (128)
36.36%
Not good at all (85)
24.15%

Watched Threads