Can you submit a MSc Psychology masters dissertation without supervisor permission

Watch
Maz1234578
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been working with my supervisor since March. So far I have my method and hypotheses complete - he is hard to reach and doesn't make time to supervise his dissertation students. Can I go ahead and submit without him or is this very unwise?
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maz1234578)
I have been working with my supervisor since March. So far I have my method and hypotheses complete - he is hard to reach and doesn't make time to supervise his dissertation students. Can I go ahead and submit without him or is this very unwise?
Maz1234578
Hello!
I’m a lecturer with ten years’ experience and an MSc in Psychology.

Do you know why the supervisor is difficult to get hold of? If he/she is long term ill then really the University should find an alternative supervisor for you.

You can definitely submit the work without their help, however, I think this would be very unwise. Some supervisors like to nudge you in the right direction over time, and then sit down and give lots of advice at the last minute once you have a draft to look at. Others, are more hands on and give direct guidance every two weeks or so.

Some tutors are often aware of the lack of support that dissertation students get from elsewhere such as student services. They often assume that student services will provide dissertation guides etc.

Good luck with your dissertation, everyone gets worried working on theirs, I know I was!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maz1234578)
Do you have a second supervisor you can consult with or a head of module for the dissertations?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.65%
Okay (119)
29.46%
A bit lacking (154)
38.12%
Not good at all (92)
22.77%

Watched Threads