makhzanah
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I'm thinking of pursuing economics (what I'm more likely to do) or Computer Science at university. What would be the best combination? I'm thinking of studying in either the UK or the US. I can't take CS at IB so..yeah
Any ideas?
AspiringCS
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
HL Maths (preferably AA but I think a lot of universities would be fine with HL AI) would open all economics and CS courses to you.

Some courses may accept SL Maths for both economics and CS but it would be case by case so check the universities admissions criteria.

HL Physics would help with CS I'd imagine.

For economics, HL Economics would obviously be ideal but if the school doesn't offer that, I'd do HL History or another essay based subject.
makhzanah
Rep:
I just started IB and my current subjects are HL Chemistry, Economics and Maths AA and my SLs are Global Politics, English LangLit and Spanish ab initio. I think all of my subjects are final except for one which is probably chem. I like Chem, I'm good at chem but it's honestly just a filler subject that I probably won't even go near after IB. Would HL Physics be better than Chemistry?
AspiringCS
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by makhzanah)
I just started IB and my current subjects are HL Chemistry, Economics and Maths AA and my SLs are Global Politics, English LangLit and Spanish ab initio. I think all of my subjects are final except for one which is probably chem. I like Chem, I'm good at chem but it's honestly just a filler subject that I probably won't even go near after IB. Would HL Physics be better than Chemistry?
No I think HL Chemistry would also be fine, particularly for economics. I think your subjects are perfect for Economics and probably fine for the majority of CS courses. For example, here is the CS entry requirements for Cambridge.

IB: 40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level

No prior knowledge of programming is required.

Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics*
Required by some Colleges: A Level Further Mathematics; IB Higher Level Physics

For Oxford, it's this

39 (including core points) with 766 at HL (the 7 must be in HL Mathematics)

For Imperial it's this

Minimum entry standards
Our minimum entry standard for 2022 entry is 39 points overall, to include:

7 in Mathematics at higher level
7 in another relevant subject at higher level

So unless you have a burning desire to go to certain Cambridge colleges, I think that Chemistry would be fine instead of Physics. It's better to try and get a 7 in Chemistry, which you like and are good at, than suffer through Physics.
makhzanah
Rep:
Yeah, I definitely agree..thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.79%
Okay (69)
28.87%
A bit lacking (89)
37.24%
Not good at all (60)
25.1%

Watched Threads