Celibacy and Goddess spirituality

Watch
Aethra
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'd be interested to hear views on the role of celibacy as part of a Goddess-oriented spiritual lifestyle. By celibacy I mean the avoidance of sexual activity of any sort, in the pursuit of personal purification in all things. It's a lifestyle I've followed for over ten years.
EOData
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It's not a successful strategy for the survival of the species and I don't really know how it helps with personal purification - whatever you mean by that - but if it makes you happy then carry on
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are you Hindu?
Aethra
Rep:
(Original post by EOData)
It's not a successful strategy for the survival of the species and I don't really know how it helps with personal purification - whatever you mean by that - but if it makes you happy then carry on
It's a lifestyle that will only ever appeal to a small minority, so I don't think the survival of the species is in danger. To me, purification means being free of physical dependence, which also includes things like alcohol and drugs.
Aethra
Rep:
(Original post by gjd800)
Are you Hindu?
I'm a Pagan.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aethra)
I'm a Pagan.
Then I am less interested. But fair play to ye
rosy_posy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's up to you really, at least you're not hurting anyone. But it's rather niche.
What do you mean by "Goddess-oriented"?
Aethra
Rep:
(Original post by rosy_posy)
It's up to you really, at least you're not hurting anyone. But it's rather niche.
What do you mean by "Goddess-oriented"?
As a Pagan I regard mother nature, the source of all life, as the Goddess, and I try and live my life in harmony with the natural world as much as possible.
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As a Pagan I regard mother nature, the source of all life, as the Goddess, and I try and live my life in harmony with the natural world as much as possible.
But sex is a natural thing?
Aethra
Rep:
(Original post by rosy_posy)
But sex is a natural thing?
Absolutely. I have chosen to abstain as a form of personal sacrifice.
rosy_posy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Absolutely. I have chosen to abstain as a form of personal sacrifice.
Whatever works for you
Son of the Sea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you have a matron deity you work with closely?
Last edited by Son of the Sea; 1 month ago
Aethra
Rep:
(Original post by Son of the Sea)
Do you have a matron deity you work with closely?
Yes, Freya (to use the most well known spelling of her name).
username5850232
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm curious as to how were you inspired to initiate a sacrificial living of celibacy especially when the goddess was related to fertility?
Aethra
Rep:
(Original post by djinnster)
I'm curious as to how were you inspired to initiate a sacrificial living of celibacy especially when the goddess was related to fertility?
I felt a calling, a need to show my devotion through personal sacrifice, and to purify myself, to that I could be a conduit of the divine. I also gave up alcohol, drugs, and meat at the same time.
username5850232
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I felt a calling, a need to show my devotion through personal sacrifice, and to purify myself, to that I could be a conduit of the divine. I also gave up alcohol, drugs, and meat at the same time.
Intriguing devotion... :K:
Son of the Sea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, Freya (to use the most well known spelling of her name).
When you commune with Freya has she in any way expressed her preference for celibacy or that engaging in sexual activity would hinder your relationship with her? If so then it makes sense for you to follow her instructions. If she hasn’t alluded to celibacy or lack thereof at all then I don’t see why you should change your current lifestyle if you’ve found it works for you. I don’t personally follow the celibacy route but I have no judgements against those who do. I know for some that remaining celibate helps them maintain ritual mindset and makes the connection with their practice and any matron or patron deities they work with stronger.
Aethra
Rep:
When you commune with Freya has she in any way expressed her preference for celibacy or that engaging in sexual activity would hinder your relationship with her? If so then it makes sense for you to follow her instructions. If she hasn’t alluded to celibacy or lack thereof at all then I don’t see why you should change your current lifestyle if you’ve found it works for you. I don’t personally follow the celibacy route but I have no judgements against those who do. I know for some that remaining celibate helps them maintain ritual mindset and makes the connection with their practice and any matron or patron deities they work with stronger.
I feel very strongly that she approves of my choice, and of my calling to be her devoted servant, or more specifically, her priestess.
Son of the Sea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I feel very strongly that she approves of my choice, and of my calling to be her devoted servant, or more specifically, her priestess.
Nothing more needs to be said then. It may not be the norm but who cares? Working with deities isn’t the norm either. As long as Freya is happy with your decision then you should continue : )
Last edited by Son of the Sea; 1 month ago
Aethra
Rep:
Nothing more needs to be said then. It may not be the norm but who cares? Working with deities isn’t the norm either. As long as Freya is happy with your decision then you should continue : )
Definitely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (19)
8.6%
Okay (65)
29.41%
A bit lacking (83)
37.56%
Not good at all (54)
24.43%

Watched Threads