alana316
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I need some advice.

I am a British citizen who completed their high school degree overseas. I moved to England on September of 2019, I did my first year at a university in London, however as I had not been in the UK for 3 years prior to the course, I did not get student finance for that school year.

I had to stop after my first year as I was not able to fund myself for the next couple of years. I decided to wait until 2022 to attend university as that will mean I have been here for 3 years and will have a chance at getting student finance and be able to study.

Now I completed the first year of university, passed with great grades and is paid by me, but I cannot pay the 2 years that I have left of the course. Is student finance likely to accept my application and fund my last 2 years of that course or will I have to start again and complete year 1 from the beginning?

Also, I will not be continuing the course in the same university.

Thank you.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alana316)
Hello, I need some advice.

I am a British citizen who completed their high school degree overseas. I moved to England on September of 2019, I did my first year at a university in London, however as I had not been in the UK for 3 years prior to the course, I did not get student finance for that school year.

I had to stop after my first year as I was not able to fund myself for the next couple of years. I decided to wait until 2022 to attend university as that will mean I have been here for 3 years and will have a chance at getting student finance and be able to study.

Now I completed the first year of university, passed with great grades and is paid by me, but I cannot pay the 2 years that I have left of the course. Is student finance likely to accept my application and fund my last 2 years of that course or will I have to start again and complete year 1 from the beginning?

Also, I will not be continuing the course in the same university.

Thank you.
Hi there,

Eligibility is determined from the 1st day of the first academic year, so if you are not eligible now then you are not eligible for the duration of your course, unless you start a new course when you are eligible.

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
alana316
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi there,

Eligibility is determined from the 1st day of the first academic year, so if you are not eligible now then you are not eligible for the duration of your course, unless you start a new course when you are eligible.

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
Hello Isaac,

Thank you for your reply.

So I completed my first year at the University of Roehampton, where I studied Biological sciences, and this was in the academic year of 2019-2020. I stopped at the end of the first term of my second year (Feb 2021). My application for student finance was rejected for both years as I had not lived in the UK 3 years prior to the course and they did not believe I was out of the UK temporarily due to my father's job.

Now my plan was to continue my studies in another university, possibly the University of Reading as it is closer to my home, starting in the 2nd year, as I have my qualifications for that first year I completed at the University of Roehampton. I would like to continue studying Biological sciences, so the same course but in a different university. I was also looking at King's College London as I was previously accepted there.

I am currently 22 years old, turning 23 in March of next year.

I have a UK passport and have lived in the UK since September of 2019.

I have a General High School Diploma for completing High school in a school with a Canadian curriculum and a transcript with the final marks I achieved in my first year at the University of Roehampton.

Does that help? I want to know if I am eligible for student finance and able to start my studies again straight into 2nd year or if I have to start again from 1st year.

Thank you and kind regards,

Ajana.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello Isaac,

Thank you for your reply.

So I completed my first year at the University of Roehampton, where I studied Biological sciences, and this was in the academic year of 2019-2020. I stopped at the end of the first term of my second year (Feb 2021). My application for student finance was rejected for both years as I had not lived in the UK 3 years prior to the course and they did not believe I was out of the UK temporarily due to my father's job.

Now my plan was to continue my studies in another university, possibly the University of Reading as it is closer to my home, starting in the 2nd year, as I have my qualifications for that first year I completed at the University of Roehampton. I would like to continue studying Biological sciences, so the same course but in a different university. I was also looking at King's College London as I was previously accepted there.

I am currently 22 years old, turning 23 in March of next year.

I have a UK passport and have lived in the UK since September of 2019.

I have a General High School Diploma for completing High school in a school with a Canadian curriculum and a transcript with the final marks I achieved in my first year at the University of Roehampton.

Does that help? I want to know if I am eligible for student finance and able to start my studies again straight into 2nd year or if I have to start again from 1st year.

Thank you and kind regards,

Ajana.
You should be eligible for funding for a new course from 01/09/2022 but you wouldn't be eligible if the course started before the 01/09/2022.

Thanks, Isaac
alana316
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
You should be eligible for funding for a new course from 01/09/2022 but you wouldn't be eligible if the course started before the 01/09/2022.

Thanks, Isaac
Hello Isaac,

So I won't be eligible even though I will be continuing the course in a different university? So I will have to start from year 1 then?

Please confirm this,

Thank you, Ajana.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello Isaac,

So I won't be eligible even though I will be continuing the course in a different university? So I will have to start from year 1 then?

Please confirm this,

Thank you, Ajana.
Your eligibility is determined from the first day of the first academic year.

If you apply for a course, we will look to see if you have had 3 years residency from the 1st day of the 1st academic year. If you are continuing on a course, you won't have 3 years residency (and you were already made ineligible for this reason).

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (14)
11.02%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (2)
1.57%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.3%
Finding the motivation (35)
27.56%
Getting distracted (17)
13.39%
Procrastination (50)
39.37%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.79%

Watched Threads