Studying from home advice?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi there,

I'm currently in my final year of University, and due to some funding issues I'm unable to spend my last year in halls, and instead have to study from home. My Uni is a couple hours away, but luckily I only have 1 class a week, which is just a 1:1 with a Tutor and not something mandatory to attend (Helpful in my financial situation).

I just wanted to know if people had some tips about studying from home or doing a degree from home? My household is very loud/stressful and there's plenty that can put my mood down for the whole day, so any advice on this would be great.

I was thinking about getting a part time job (Never had one before) to get me out a bit, and to start saving for when I graduate (Hopefully) next year, but that's the only idea I have so far. I think it would also be good experience for me, to get me into the real world.

Thanks in advance
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there,

I'm currently in my final year of University, and due to some funding issues I'm unable to spend my last year in halls, and instead have to study from home. My Uni is a couple hours away, but luckily I only have 1 class a week, which is just a 1:1 with a Tutor and not something mandatory to attend (Helpful in my financial situation).

I just wanted to know if people had some tips about studying from home or doing a degree from home? My household is very loud/stressful and there's plenty that can put my mood down for the whole day, so any advice on this would be great.

I was thinking about getting a part time job (Never had one before) to get me out a bit, and to start saving for when I graduate (Hopefully) next year, but that's the only idea I have so far. I think it would also be good experience for me, to get me into the real world.

Thanks in advance
Hello

I thought you might find this student blog post useful:
Studying from home - a rarely mentioned student

Good luck with your final year, hope everything goes well!

Becky
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
Hi there,

Thanks in advance
Hi there!

My name is Konnie and I’m a postgraduate Creative Writing student at De Montfort University, Leicester. 😊

So I’m in the same position as you where I study at home, with a commute to university for one day a week. I used to live on campus too, and like you I found that it was hard to adjust to living away from university initially, but luckily I did find ways to get used to the new way of studying!

First of all, I think that the most important thing to do is to find a place where you can be the most productive with your studies. This doesn’t have to be at home either! I find that I work well in my local coffee shop, but you can also go somewhere like your local library, where they have free resources to help you with your studies too. If you prefer to stay at home, try creating a study playlist of music that you can listen to whilst studying, so that you can maintain focus. 😊

I think that getting some part-time work is a great idea to consider! This will put you in a new environment, and will also give you a break from your studies. I know that sometimes this can be hard when you are living at home and you are sharing your workspace with your living space! An alternative option could be to try getting some relevant work experience in your spare time, too, so that you have some extra experience to include on your CV ready for when you graduate.

I wish you all the best for your final year!

Konnie 😊
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Hi there,

Thanks in advance
Hi!
I've worked throughout my time at uni and I think it has helped me for the reasons you mentioned. It's nice to think about something that isn't university sometimes.

I understand where you are coming from about a loud household, I think the best advice I can give is try to find somewhere else to work. I found I got a lot more work done by taking my laptop to a cafe and just reading or working on projects from there. It's nice to segment your day up a little, I didn't enjoy the living and working in the space of a couple of metres.

Good luck with your final year, I hope this has given you some ideas!

Cameron
Student Ambassador
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Hi there,

Thanks in advance
Hi

I don't always find spending time studying at home particularly easy either, so you're definitely not alone. If going out to study in other environments such as cafes/libraries etc isn't logistical or practical for you, try and do what you can to make your working environment at home a nice place to be with what you have. For example, have a designated place to do work that you can get up and go to away from where else you might spend your time. I hear your financial situation might not be the best right now but if you can invest in any cheap but nice stationery that might motivate you, that's definitely something to consider! I also really like making sure I have nice drinks and snacks to keep me company whilst I'm doing work at home. If I treat myself to something and deem it a "study snack", it helps make me want to study on the down days (which we all have, so don't be hard on yourself about that).

I'm also wondering if maybe you could put some headphones in and play some white noise whilst you're working, if that's not too distracting for you? I hope you find something that helps, and I think going for a part time job would be a great idea. Good luck with your final year!

Best wishes,
Danielle
Film and Television Studies
Last edited by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (43)
15.3%
The paper was reasonable (142)
50.53%
Not feeling great about that exam... (69)
24.56%
It was TERRIBLE (27)
9.61%

Watched Threads