Mental Health Nursing or Mental Health & Well-being Degree

Watch
courtneyaxford
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently a Access to HE student in Nursing & Midwifery. I really love the course and the people in my class are amazingly supportive of eachother. However, as I've got further into modules and going to uni open days I don't feel as drawn to Mental Health Nursing as before I started my Access course. Mainly being that I doubt my personal ability to perform as a MH nurse (due to low self confidence) which I am trying my best to work on

I found another degree which is in MH and Well-being with the option to go into the mental health sector in jobs such as charities or community services and the option to continue studies in areas such as counselling etc.

I feel like I'm at a cross-roads and just need advice from people that are not in my immediate circle as everyone has strong opinions on what I should/shouldn't do!

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by courtneyaxford)
I'm currently a Access to HE student in Nursing & Midwifery. I really love the course and the people in my class are amazingly supportive of eachother. However, as I've got further into modules and going to uni open days I don't feel as drawn to Mental Health Nursing as before I started my Access course. Mainly being that I doubt my personal ability to perform as a MH nurse (due to low self confidence) which I am trying my best to work on

I found another degree which is in MH and Well-being with the option to go into the mental health sector in jobs such as charities or community services and the option to continue studies in areas such as counselling etc.

I feel like I'm at a cross-roads and just need advice from people that are not in my immediate circle as everyone has strong opinions on what I should/shouldn't do!

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated

I'm not going to have go at you wanting to switch courses as if you feel unconformable in doing your current one then swaspping it to MH wellbeings will hopefully be far better for you.

Why don't you want to be doing nursing as it just as good a job and better opportunities in career promotions if you want to do this,

I think if you think again on things you will probably change your mind and continue to complete the access course and go onto university for the nursing side.

I do think that we all have these thoughts on courses like this but soon realised you want to stay where you are.

I would suggest really that you should go and talk to somebody at your access course if at college to discuss this with them as they will be best people I think to advise you on this matter. Go and see what they say to you OK.

I wanted to be a adult nurse for many years but I landed up becoming a midwife instead but I was always planning to do the short top-up degree course for this for qualify adult nurses so doing it from scratch saved me being a student again for about 20 months.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (16)
8.84%
Okay (55)
30.39%
A bit lacking (62)
34.25%
Not good at all (48)
26.52%

Watched Threads