Struggling to read extracts

Watch
BumbleBean04
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey there!
I'm not too sure what's wrong and figured I'd ask on here if what I'm experiencing is normal. I'm struggling to read the extracts that have been given to me for my A-level in economics, and I'm not sure why.
I keep on getting headaches when trying to focus on what the extract says, but I keep skipping over words and sentences and end up reading through it with no recollection of what the extract says.
Is there wnything I should try do? Does anyone have advice on how to deal with it?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BumbleBean04)
Hey there!
I'm not too sure what's wrong and figured I'd ask on here if what I'm experiencing is normal. I'm struggling to read the extracts that have been given to me for my A-level in economics, and I'm not sure why.
I keep on getting headaches when trying to focus on what the extract says, but I keep skipping over words and sentences and end up reading through it with no recollection of what the extract says.
Is there wnything I should try do? Does anyone have advice on how to deal with it?
Hi! BumbleBean04

I can understand why this might be frustrating.
I suffer from migraines, so I sometimes suffer from headaches and subsequently migraines when I focus too much on a piece of work. It might also be sleep and diet, so make sure you're sleeping well and eating a balanced diet.
Because you are skipping over words and sentences I would speak to your academic support at your college. They will be able to assess you and provide help for you to overcome this, as there might be an underlying issue they can address.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BumbleBean04)
Hey there!
Your probably not engaged with it, so you are just scanning over the words but not really absorbing it. I used to do this when I was in school.

Ultimately it will come down to focus and self-discipline ensuring that you keep your attention. I find high-intensity bursts of reading with regular short breaks is the best way for me to stay engaged with very dry material.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.85%
Okay (65)
28.76%
A bit lacking (85)
37.61%
Not good at all (56)
24.78%

Watched Threads