Rhys_M
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can somebody plz explain what I need to do for part c below.
I'm guessing there's an alternative to drawing 7 branches of a probability tree.
Thanks
Name:  0609DEED-FA4C-48F0-859B-4692F41BDC88.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  86.9 KB
Last edited by Rhys_M; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Each experiment is either rolls 4 primes or not. He does seven of them and you want to find the probability that it occurs twice. Does that sound familiar?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
Rhys_M
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
Each experiment is either rolls 4 primes or not. He does seven of them and you want to find the probability that it occurs twice. Does that sound familiar?
Yea that's the question - but no i can't figure out what to do. Is it something to do with the number of combinations of it happening twice x the probability of it happening twice ?
If so how many combinations are there?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rhys_M)
Yea that's the question - but no i can't figure out what to do. Is it something to do with the number of combinations of it happening twice x the probability of it happening twice ?
re-read mqb2766's hint carefully - you have seven trials i.e. a fixed number of trials. Each trial can be 4 primes ("success") or not ("failure"). There is a fixed probability of "success" which you calculated earlier. Does this ring any bells?
Rhys_M
Rep:
(Original post by Rhys_M)
(Original post by mqb2766)
Oh shoot no its just another binomial isnt it
srijan_p
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah this is X~B(n,p) and the assumptions will just be stuff like the dice being fair
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes. Thats one reason why they asked you the properties of the (binomial) distribution at the start.

Tbh, its a reasonably common question structure where they describe a new "binomial" question part at the end of the question where the new distribution defined in terms of a yes/no - type outcome from the original distribution. Part b) even got you to calculate the p in the new binomial distribution. Again, a fairly clear hint.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
numnum1111
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
When it asks for assumptions, just state the standard stuff -- fixed chance of success, independent trials and fixed number of trials. And yes, this is just standard binomial distribution.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
9.01%
Okay (65)
29.28%
A bit lacking (83)
37.39%
Not good at all (54)
24.32%

Watched Threads