The line between a fetish and a preference

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If someone says they only want a Korean boyfriend, only date and have sex with men from South Korea because they like K-pop, K-dramas and foods like Tteokbokki, Japchae, Kimbap, is that a fetish or a preference?
heart2you
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
if it's ONLY with Korean men and Korea in general, and they don't want to do anything with anyone else then I'd say it's a fetish
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Fetish - a form of sexual desire in which gratification is linked to an abnormal degree to a particular object, item of clothing, part of the body, etc.

So by that definition, an attraction to Koreans would be a preference.
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
Fetish - a form of sexual desire in which gratification is linked to an abnormal degree to a particular object, item of clothing, part of the body, etc.

But I want to add that the terms are used pretty much interchangeably now. A fetish used to mean that you couldn't achieve sexual gratification without the object or thing being present. In present day, people say "fetish" when describing a preference for something, mostly taboo, but not always.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by heart2you)
if it's ONLY with Korean men and Korea in general, and they don't want to do anything with anyone else then I'd say it's a fetish
What if someone also learned the Korean language so they could get a Korean boyfriend? Is that a fetish or a preference?
Anonymous #1

Thanks for the constructive answer.
Dupe Hunter
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you have a race fetish?
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If someone says they only want a Korean boyfriend, only date and have sex with men from South Korea because they like K-pop, K-dramas and foods like Tteokbokki, Japchae, Kimbap, is that a fetish or a preference?

Based on the above, I would describe a race fetish when:-

1) You ONLY go for said race; you are unwilling to consider anyone else under any circumstances
2) Their race is the only thing you care about (e.g. no consideration given to looks, personality, status etc.)

But I want to add that the terms are used pretty much interchangeably now. A fetish used to mean that you couldn't achieve sexual gratification without the object or thing being present. In present day, people say "fetish" when describing a preference for something, mostly taboo, but not always.
Agreed... a lot of people call their "kinks" fetishes; when strictly speaking, it's not the case (although I don't think it's as bad when people call a race fetish as a "preference"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.94%
Okay (104)
29.55%
A bit lacking (128)
36.36%
Not good at all (85)
24.15%

Watched Threads