Does low entry requirements mean it's a bad course?

Watch
LJ234
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to apply for Environmental Geography at Cardiff and York, and want to go to Cardiff but the entry requirements are ABB for 1 science or BBB-BBC for 2 sciences (which I do). The entry requirements for York are AAB with 2 sciences which I think is aspirational for me, but possible (I have low confidence but if I worked hard I could get it). Does the BBC mean that it's a bad course or does it not necessarily mean that?

I originally wanted to do marine geography at Cardiff which is mainly why I want to go there but I also think that York may be too expensive for me to live in. I have currently visited neither universities (none in person) but plan to visit Cardiff in November, and have done the virtual Cardiff open day.

It doesn't help that I know someone who went to Cardiff this year and has already dropped out because she hated the accommodation, but she did get her 3rd or 4th option so I'm hoping that that is just an unlucky situation. Any advice, either personal to Cardiff or just general?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
No. I got A,A, Distinction, Distinction*, B, C at A level when I was at sixth form and did an academic course where the grade requirements were B,B,C (112 UCAS Points) and thoroughly enjoy the course, they are on the exact same level of teaching standards by inspection that another University I know that has A, B, B entry criteria. It has some real complex elements to it, so honestly I'd go for whatever course you like and want to do that you can get that Pass, Second or First in. I knew a friend who went to Oxford with A level grade requirements with A,A,A (144 UCAS Points) and he dropped out as the course was to fast paced for him and he fell behind (others didn't). It's purely subjective the experience you have at Uni really and depends on what kind of occupation you want to have, but no, a degree is a degree, at the end of the day. Snobbery is what makes certain people think certain Universities are better than others. Don't listen to snobs and the spoilt
econhelp525
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It means it's not a very popular course.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LJ234)
I want to apply for Environmental Geography at Cardiff and York, and want to go to Cardiff but the entry requirements are ABB for 1 science or BBB-BBC for 2 sciences (which I do). The entry requirements for York are AAB with 2 sciences which I think is aspirational for me, but possible (I have low confidence but if I worked hard I could get it). Does the BBC mean that it's a bad course or does it not necessarily mean that?

I originally wanted to do marine geography at Cardiff which is mainly why I want to go there but I also think that York may be too expensive for me to live in. I have currently visited neither universities (none in person) but plan to visit Cardiff in November, and have done the virtual Cardiff open day.

It doesn't help that I know someone who went to Cardiff this year and has already dropped out because she hated the accommodation, but she did get her 3rd or 4th option so I'm hoping that that is just an unlucky situation. Any advice, either personal to Cardiff or just general?
i wouldn’t say lower entry requirements necessarily make a course bad, i’d say it just means that the course is not as competitive as others, lowering the requirements mean more people (whatever their ability) will be able to join the course
LJ234
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
No. I got A,A, Distinction, Distinction*, B, C at A level when I was at sixth form and did an academic course where the grade requirements were B,B,C (112 UCAS Points) and thoroughly enjoy the course, they are on the exact same level of teaching standards by inspection that another University I know that has A, B, B entry criteria. It has some real complex elements to it, so honestly I'd go for whatever course you like and want to do that you can get that Pass, Second or First in. I knew a friend who went to Oxford with A level grade requirements with A,A,A (144 UCAS Points) and he dropped out as the course was to fast paced for him and he fell behind (others didn't). It's purely subjective the experience you have at Uni really and depends on what kind of occupation you want to have, but no, a degree is a degree, at the end of the day. Snobbery is what makes certain people think certain Universities are better than others. Don't listen to snobs and the spoilt
Thanks so much for your anecdote I have heard that courses with lower grade requirements are usually better equipped for dealing with students who may be slower learners or whatever, so are more helpful to each individual instead of just letting some fall behind and drop out, which is obviously a positive!
LJ234
Rep:
And that's a good thing or a bad thing? Or neither? Perhaps both?

(Original post by econhelp525)
It means it's not a very popular course.
econhelp525
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LJ234)
And that's a good thing or a bad thing? Or neither? Perhaps both?
Neither. It just means not a lot of people apply to it. It doesn't mean it's a bad course, it's just not a lot of people want to study it, compared to other courses. So, to bring in students (and money), the university lowered their entry requirements so more people can apply.

I'll tell you now that York will usually lower their requirements on Results Day for that course because, again, it's not a popular course. But York, generally, has a minimum A-Level requirement across the board of AAB.
LJ234
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
i wouldn’t say lower entry requirements necessarily make a course bad, i’d say it just means that the course is not as competitive as others, lowering the requirements mean more people (whatever their ability) will be able to join the course
Thanks, this particular course belongs to the Geography School at Cardiff and all the courses are interchangeable and interact with each other and that was one of the things I liked about it
LJ234
Rep:
(Original post by econhelp525)
Neither. It just means not a lot of people apply to it. It doesn't mean it's a bad course, it's just not a lot of people want to study it, compared to other courses. So, to bring in students (and money), the university lowered their entry requirements so more people can apply.

I'll tell you now that York will usually lower their requirements on Results Day for that course because, again, it's not a popular course. But York, generally, has a minimum A-Level requirement across the board of AAB.
Okay, thanks so much for your help
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Sometimes.
Usually means that it is not a traditionally popular course.
Or a course offered by a uni within england that has received limited applications from home students after four days of clearing with lots of places still available.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.82%
Okay (98)
29.17%
A bit lacking (122)
36.31%
Not good at all (83)
24.7%

Watched Threads