how to have more confidence in seminars?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey, apologies for the long post.

I'm in my second year of university now and i am really enjoying university overall. but one thing I can't seem to overcome is anxiety around seminars. depending on the class I will often stress about seminars in the days preceding it, wake up with a knot in my stomach the day of etc. its not like this with all of my classes, just a couple.

anyway, i want to overcome this, i want to show my tutors that i'm not being silent because i don't care (i love my course and find all of my modules interesting), its literally because of this anxiety that i have around contributing. I have rationalised it to myself so many times, thinking things like nobody really cares what you say, it doesn't matter if you make mistakes, there is more to life etc.

but for some reason when I am actually sat in the seminar room I just want the ground to swallow me up. I think there is clearly a larger issue around self-esteem probably going on, and which I will try to get professional help with. But in the meantime, I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice/ experienced or experiences a similar kind of thing?

P.S. i did my first year before the pandemic but took an interruption of studies, so i have been to a lot of in-person seminars before. for some reason they continue to stress me out
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I'm in my second year of university now and i am really enjoying university overall. but one thing I can't seem to overcome is anxiety around seminars. depending on the class I will often stress about seminars in the days preceding it, wake up with a knot in my stomach the day of etc. its not like this with all of my classes, just a couple.

anyway, i want to overcome this, i want to show my tutors that i'm not being silent because i don't care (i love my course and find all of my modules interesting), its literally because of this anxiety that i have around contributing. I have rationalised it to myself so many times, thinking things like nobody really cares what you say, it doesn't matter if you make mistakes, there is more to life etc.

but for some reason when I am actually sat in the seminar room I just want the ground to swallow me up. I think there is clearly a larger issue around self-esteem probably going on, and which I will try to get professional help with. But in the meantime, I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice/ experienced or experiences a similar kind of thing?

P.S. i did my first year before the pandemic but took an interruption of studies, so i have been to a lot of in-person seminars before. for some reason they continue to stress me out
Hi!

I can completely understand you, as I've been there myself. Just think that you usually learn more from contributing.
I would maybe do some more reading around the subject before you go to the seminar. This might give you more confidence about what you are saying/contributing to the lesson. I think you're on the right track though and have the right mindset about how to help yourself.
Also, speak to your wellbeing team at uni. They're usually free and they offer really good advice about how to cop with your anxiety in lessons.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago

Mate, how are you expecting to get anywhere being an academic?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Mate, how are you expecting to get anywhere being an academic?
what? thats not the point of this thread?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
First you need to realise that you are there for a reason - you are capable and you have valuable things to say.

Second, no student (or staff!) has all the answers, and it is FINE to ask questions, even if you think it might be a silly question. If you are worried about something, unsure, lost, then it is odds on that others are as well - ask what you need to.

It can be hard to do both these things if you are anxious, and so that's something you should also try to address. The university should have some things in place to help with this and so you can always get into student support or your welfare representative to see what concrete steps can be taken.

Easy for me to say, but the clincher is not to stress. Don't worry, don't beat yourself up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.91%
Okay (94)
29.1%
A bit lacking (118)
36.53%
Not good at all (79)
24.46%

Watched Threads