The Student Room Group

A-level German Study Group 2022

Welcome to the A-level German Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - German 7762

Edexcel - German 9GN0

OCR- Modern Foreign Languages

WJEC - German

Advanced Information:

AQA - German 7762

Edexcel - German 9GN0

WJEC - German

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
(edited 2 years ago)
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Original post by Evil Homer
Welcome to the A-level German Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - German 7762

Edexcel - German 9GN0

OCR- Modern Foreign Languages

WJEC - German

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

I'm doing CIE :smile:
Reply 3
i'm on edexcel a level. does anyone know any good revision tips for a level german?? i feel like i'm confident on the vocab and grammar, but all of the topic material is kind of going over my head. the summary questions for the listening i find particularly hard - pls help me out lol
Original post by ozz0123
i'm on edexcel a level. does anyone know any good revision tips for a level german?? i feel like i'm confident on the vocab and grammar, but all of the topic material is kind of going over my head. the summary questions for the listening i find particularly hard - pls help me out lol

I recommend listening to as many podcasts in German as you can. If you have Spotify I recommend: https://open.spotify.com/show/153GSed5uzyq7EwYUfBLjS?si=a7e8021b1973429f and https://open.spotify.com/show/12t5fPI8fn4CJeieZznBbH?si=dac8ca6c548f4c2a

Try and take notes as well as taking down any bits of vocab you pick up!
Original post by ozz0123

how did you get confident with the grammar? I just can't seem to get the hang of it.
Reply 6
Original post by annamoore17
how did you get confident with the grammar? I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

definitely focus on what is most important. some teachers just bash in der/die/das tables, but being secure with how to form present, perfect and future tenses is so much more important. also word order (verb second/last and rules with words like weil and obwohl). just read and listen to lots of german from anywhere and look out for the use of grammar there to help you get a grasp of how it works. hope that helps :smile:
Hi everyone!

Hope your studies are going well! This is just a quick reminder that the exams’ additional information is due to be released soon, so keep an eye out for updates about which topics your exams will be focused on.

What topics would you like to see come up this year? Is there anything that you hope won’t make it onto the paper? Do let us know!

Best of luck with your revision!

MP :smile:
Hi everyone,

The Advanced Information for exams is out now! Take a look at our TSR Advance Information Megathread for more information and advice. We also have exam boards taking student questions in the thread. Have a look - it's a great opportunity to make sure you understand what you need to revise and put you in a good position to do well in your exams.

Advanced Information:

AQA - German 7762

Edexcel - German 9GN0

WJEC - German

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by annamoore17

Just practice, I think. (I also had a teacher who would stop me to correct my grammar in conversation, which was actually really helpful. :smile:) This link has helpful worksheets:
https://www.nthuleen.com/teach/grammar.html
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm doing Edexcel. (I don't see a poll?) I'm pretty confident about grammar and general reading fluency, but I'm not so sure about the topic information - do I need a lot of outside reading? how much do I need to memorize? - and preparing for the literature texts besides reading them. It's also hard for me to pick out all the relevant points in the listening recordings if I can't hear it twice. Any advice, and is there time to listen to it twice during the exam?
Original post by penguingirl18
I'm doing Edexcel. (I don't see a poll?) I'm pretty confident about grammar and general reading fluency, but I'm not so sure about the topic information - do I need a lot of outside reading? how much do I need to memorize? - and preparing for the literature texts besides reading them. It's also hard for me to pick out all the relevant points in the listening recordings if I can't hear it twice. Any advice, and is there time to listen to it twice during the exam?

For the topics, I would make brief notes of key facts/vocab from past exam questions and your textbook if you have one - these will be very useful in the speaking exam so you sound confident by including facts (also make sure examples are related to german speaking countries) and will also make understanding the reading and listening papers easier. Don't feel like you need to memorise everything, just a few examples and facts for each topic should be enough. And yes, I think edexcel advises 45 minutes for the listening section which is 4 questions long, so you can really take your time and listen to it as many times as you want (I usually do at least 4 times with pauses to answer all the questions).

As for outside reading, I would mainly focus on reading around the book/film you study (perhaps written by the same author or set in the same time period or society). If you let me know what texts you study I could recommend some for you.
Hi there!
Is anyone able to tell me how I can find the exam papers sat this summer?
Or when they will be released?
thaaanks!
Original post by rubz606
Hi there!
Is anyone able to tell me how I can find the exam papers sat this summer?
Or when they will be released?
thaaanks!

https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams/whats-available-when
that's the answer to my Q, I believe.... incase it's helpful to others

https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams/whats-available-when
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest