A-level Philosophy Study Group 2022

Watch this thread
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Welcome to the A-level Philosophy Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - Philosophy 7172

Advance Information:

AQA - Philosophy 7172

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
Last edited by Mythical Pingu; 4 months ago
skejrjoen
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Can I join, I’m studying aqa philosophy
Evil Homer
Rep:
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Evil Homer
Rep:
(Original post by skejrjoen)
Can I join, I’m studying aqa philosophy
Everyone is welcome to join, the more people that get involved the better these groups are

How are you finding the course?
skejrjoen
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Everyone is welcome to join, the more people that get involved the better these groups are

How are you finding the course?
It’s interesting, I do genuinely enjoy it. Even though I do find it quite difficult it oddly doesn’t stress me out?? I like the challenge. We’re on Mill’s utilitarianism right now.
anon332211
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Welcome to the A-level Philosophy Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - Philosophy 7172

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
I'm doing the AQA spec. I have covered epistemology and moral philosophy and am now doing metaphysics of god/mind. It's going ok, but I have had bad teachers so a lot of the course is still a bit tricky. Saying that, I am applying to do philosophy at uni lmao
Evil Homer
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by tamsinj)
I'm doing the AQA spec. I have covered epistemology and moral philosophy and am now doing metaphysics of god/mind. It's going ok, but I have had bad teachers so a lot of the course is still a bit tricky. Saying that, I am applying to do philosophy at uni lmao
Where are you applying? I took Philosophy at uni
anon332211
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Where are you applying? I took Philosophy at uni
I'm applying to Cambridge, Bristol, Exeter (offer), durham and Edinburgh! Where did you go? Did you enjoy it?
Evil Homer
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by tamsinj)
I'm applying to Cambridge, Bristol, Exeter (offer), durham and Edinburgh! Where did you go? Did you enjoy it?
I ended up going to Brighton, but that was a fairly long time ago in a very different kind of uni so our experiences might not be quite the same :lol:

For the record I absolutely loved it and am very glad I chose it over Economics at Warwick in the end!
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi everyone!

Hope your studies are going well! This is just a quick reminder that the exams’ additional information is due to be released soon, so keep an eye out for updates about which topics your exams will be focused on.

What topics would you like to see come up this year? Is there anything that you hope won’t make it onto the paper? Do let us know!

Best of luck with your revision!

MP
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi everyone,

The Advanced Information for exams is out now! Take a look at our TSR Advance Information Megathread for more information and advice. We also have exam boards taking student questions in the thread. Have a look - it's a great opportunity to make sure you understand what you need to revise and put you in a good position to do well in your exams.

Advance Information:

AQA - Philosophy 7172

Good luck!
reeldn
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi. Does anyone have a recommended structure for philosophy exams 25 markers
lemonjellyfish
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
although I've never gotten 25, i think its best to do a very detailed plan as they mainly mark you on structure and preciseness. I'm 2nd year doing aqa and i think the best way is as followed although I'm deffo no expert:

1. strong intro stating what you are arguing for and what topics you will cover for example 'i will be arguing... as.... i will do this by showing that... and that..... . then i will come to the conclusion that...' essentially it's like a summary of all the paragraphs below (which is why you need to know exactly what to write beforehand.

2 follow your plan first outline the theory and then the criticism if arguing for explain why criticism does not work, if arguing against explaining why it does. if you can think of a string of arguments for example argument- criticism- counter criticism, that is better. the important part is to make sure at the end of each paragraph it is clear what you are arguing. imagine the examiner is only reading the last couple of sentences of your paragraph. i recommend including premise format arguments if you can remember them as they are good for scoring points on coherence and preciseness.

3 do 2-3 theories and make sure to include both sides for each argument. examiners want to see extreme consistency. make sure points are coherent and you know your stuff. other than that it's just about important links and examining the strengths of theories/ criticisms, take care to explain why they DO/DONT work.

4. finish with a good conclusion. stating what you had concluded with and why (like why criticisms do or don't work). if you think of anything that wasn't in your plan or have time to add anything extra make sure to state it in your intro. finally when checking work make sure all your points are fully developed and include examples.
(just to note if you have read this far thanks!! and i hope this was helpful. i am not a smart student however i have gone from being predicted low c's in philosophy, getting 4/25 on 25 markers and being told that because i was dyslexic i would never do well in an essay subject. To getting A's in my recent mocks, so do not doubt yourself as all is possible !!!)
Last edited by lemonjellyfish; 1 month ago
reeldn
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lemonjellyfish)
although I've never gotten 25, i think its best to do a very detailed plan as they mainly mark you on structure and preciseness. I'm 2nd year doing aqa and i think the best way is as followed although I'm deffo no expert:

1. strong intro stating what you are arguing for and what topics you will cover for example 'i will be arguing... as.... i will do this by showing that... and that..... . then i will come to the conclusion that...' essentially it's like a summary of all the paragraphs below (which is why you need to know exactly what to write beforehand.

2 follow your plan first outline the theory and then the criticism if arguing for explain why criticism does not work, if arguing against explaining why it does. if you can think of a string of arguments for example argument- criticism- counter criticism, that is better. the important part is to make sure at the end of each paragraph it is clear what you are arguing. imagine the examiner is only reading the last couple of sentences of your paragraph. i recommend including premise format arguments if you can remember them as they are good for scoring points on coherence and preciseness.

3 do 2-3 theories and make sure to include both sides for each argument. examiners want to see extreme consistency. make sure points are coherent and you know your stuff. other than that it's just about important links and examining the strengths of theories/ criticisms, take care to explain why they DO/DONT work.

4. finish with a good conclusion. stating what you had concluded with and why (like why criticisms do or don't work). if you think of anything that wasn't in your plan or have time to add anything extra make sure to state it in your intro. finally when checking work make sure all your points are fully developed and include examples.
(just to note if you have read this far thanks!! and i hope this was helpful. i am not a smart student however i have gone from being predicted low c's in philosophy, getting 4/25 on 25 markers and being told that because i was dyslexic i would never do well in an essay subject. To getting A's in my recent mocks, so do not doubt yourself as all is possible !!!)
Do you mind sharing one of your essays for me to read. I feel like there is like no help when it comes to Philosophy like all the students are so isolated😭

Thank you for this structure tho xx
15albrookes
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
does anyone have any predictions for the exam? especially for the essays?
reeldn
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 15albrookes)
does anyone have any predictions for the exam? especially for the essays?
I reckon the 25 is likely to be on Descartes intuition and deduction thesis because it hasn't been asked. I also think metaethics might be the moral philosophy essay or perhaps kant as virtue and utilitarianism has been asked
15albrookes
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by reeldn)
I reckon the 25 is likely to be on Descartes intuition and deduction thesis because it hasn't been asked. I also think metaethics might be the moral philosophy essay or perhaps kant as virtue and utilitarianism has been asked
yeah i was thinking the same, also could possibly be a jtb one. also considering anti realism is only listed on the advanced info, i suppose it would be something like ‘assess anti realism’?

are you revising applied ethics as well, considering it’s not explicitly listed on the advanced info?
reeldn
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 15albrookes)
yeah i was thinking the same, also could possibly be a jtb one. also considering anti realism is only listed on the advanced info, i suppose it would be something like ‘assess anti realism’?

are you revising applied ethics as well, considering it’s not explicitly listed on the advanced info?
No I am not revising applied. It wont be asssesed. But yeah the 25 could be like "Are moral anti-realists correct to say there are no objective moral properties" or something alone those lines.

Because you do not necessarily have to add the moral realist arguments in to write this essay. You technically could evaluate error theory, emotivism and prescriptivism alone or speak about the issues of moral progress, moral disagreement and moral nihilism x
Last edited by reeldn; 1 month ago
reeldn
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Does any possible counterarguments for the Gettier problems. Perhaps one that illustrates that the tripartite definition may survive?
LovingLucy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by reeldn)
Does any possible counterarguments for the Gettier problems. Perhaps one that illustrates that the tripartite definition may survive?
This is one I used- we can eliminate Gettier cases as challenges to our understanding of knowledge, simply by refusing to allow that one's having fallible justification for a belief that p could ever adequately satisfy JTB's justification condition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads