The Student Room Group

feeling like i don’t know when to excercise

i’ve always been active and always enjoyed it. However, ever since i started my job, i can’t have a set “routine” of the gym anymore since my rota changes every week. I also don’t want to give myself the “go when u want” option as i’m scared that it’ll make me feel guilty when i rest and leave me confused about when to rest on my days off work and when to workout. I hope this all makes sense. The thought of going to the gym or running (both things i enjoy) actually makes my heart beat fast and i get stressed and i ruminate for hours genuinely. It’s not even the action of actually doing these things that stress me out, it’s the thought of when will i actually do them? It’s the planning that stresses me out but i feel like without a plan i’ll also be in conflict in my head. Has anyone went through anything similar and found a happy balance or solution? Any help would be great
I haven't gone through anything similar like this, so what I say might not be much help, but I would recommend that when you get your new work rota you can plan out in advance when you exercise? Or go during the day at a time when you know for definite you won't be working if you can. If it's possible you could also consider asking your work for a timetable where it doesn't change every week, so that way it's easier to plan your time out. Don't worry either if you don't always have time to exercise, it's important you get to rest too :smile:
Original post by Lellyit00009
i’ve always been active and always enjoyed it. However, ever since i started my job, i can’t have a set “routine” of the gym anymore since my rota changes every week. I also don’t want to give myself the “go when u want” option as i’m scared that it’ll make me feel guilty when i rest and leave me confused about when to rest on my days off work and when to workout. I hope this all makes sense. The thought of going to the gym or running (both things i enjoy) actually makes my heart beat fast and i get stressed and i ruminate for hours genuinely. It’s not even the action of actually doing these things that stress me out, it’s the thought of when will i actually do them? It’s the planning that stresses me out but i feel like without a plan i’ll also be in conflict in my head. Has anyone went through anything similar and found a happy balance or solution? Any help would be great

Not quite a rota change scenario, but my workload fluctuates a lot which means I can't adopt a proper 'routine' either. I think I know what you're referring to in terms of getting stressed about the planning - for me it's the anxiety of knowing that I HAVE to do something, but not knowing when I can do it, so I just end up stressing about the thought of having to make 10 potential different plans, fitting them in with other life commitments, etc.

What has helped for me is setting really high level, overarching goals - for example, set goal of running for 10km each week, for a whole month. If I focus just on that, then I ignore the aspects I can't control - i.e. the 'when'. So...focusing on the big picture instead of the teeny tiny details...if that makes sense? Good luck!
I think it's a rocket science just go for workout but one thing keep in mind do that how much you can don't do exercise beyond your stamina ...
Do it at like 5am when the rota can't impact your time for exercise?

Quick Reply

Latest